Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot start Spotify Connect from my laptop but can control it if started from another device

Solved!

Cannot start Spotify Connect from my laptop but can control it if started from another device

Plan

Premium (latest version app installed)

Country

Sweden

Device

Macbook Pro 2018

Operating System

macOS Mojave 10.14.6

My Question or Issue

I'm not able to start Spotify connect (for cromecast audio, samsung galaxy S9 plus) from my laptop as I cannot even see them as alternatives on my laptop app. However, if I have started a Spotify connect session from my phone, I can see my cromecast and phone on my laptop and can control Spotify connect from my laptop app as well. Apparently they are on the same wifi and they are somewhat compatible since I can control an already started session at least. 

This has been an issue for me for years and regardless of multiple reinstallation's of my computer and restarts of all my devices and multiple updates of versions. What could be wrong and how can I fix this problem?

Cheers,

Erik

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there @lingonsylten!

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Right now to be able to control another device via the Connect feature on desktop, you'll need to start playing music from it or have the Spotify app open first.

You can leave your +Vote on this idea if you'd like to see this change in the future.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey there @lingonsylten!

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community!

Right now to be able to control another device via the Connect feature on desktop, you'll need to start playing music from it or have the Spotify app open first.

You can leave your +Vote on this idea if you'd like to see this change in the future.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Holy sh*t, so this is not even a developed feature at the moment? 

I wouldn't categorize this as an "idea" I would categorize it as a flaw in the seamless user experience offer I assume is the goal to provide. Said in the friendliest possible manner of course. 

A perfect example of lagging behind with small things that matter (i.e. irritates but not to an extent that many talk about it, but make people slightly more prone to look at other services) to be able to stay ahead with advanced features that barely anyone notices. Keep staying ahead of the game but don't forget about retention and the basic stuff. Hope it's put in the backlog right away.

Best of wishes

Totally agree with you @lingonsylten, I have the same problem / bug.

I don't think you 100% understood our problem @Elena : we want to use the Connect feature only from the desktop app without using another device.

I have this problem with connecting a Google Mini, but I have no problem connecting a Libratone Zipp from my desktop app. So this is really a bug 🙂

Suggested posts