Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Constantly getting "Can't Play the current song"

Constantly getting "Can't Play the current song"

Plan

Free

Country

USA (California)

Device

Mac Pro 2013

Operating System

MacOS Monterey 12.5.1

Spotify for macOS (Intel) 

Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 3.43.50 PM.png

1.1.93.896.g3ae3b4f3

My Question or Issue

I'm constantly getting the error "Can't play the current song" from the Mac Desktop app, version above. Once it happens, I try playing other songs, and sometimes, a different song will start (like 1 out of 10 times) but mostly the error continues. I have to restart the app.

The error seems to happen whenever I open a new page in my Chrome browser, or do something in the browser that requires a large amount of traffic.

At that moment, the Spotify app pauses, and either continues the song, or errors out with the above error.

If I restart the app it will play again, but if I'm working with Chrome, it fails right away again.

I tried using FireFox to work, and the issue did not happen. I'm guessing Spotify for desktop Mac is based on Chromium, and is having some issues when I use Chrome at the same time.

5 Replies

Hey @gwhiz

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out.

Firstly, we'd recommend checking your firewall and antivirus software/apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception. 

Secondly, go ahead and remove ALL entries from the hosts file (not only the ones for Spotify). More on how to do that here. Make sure you uninstall any ad-blocker apps too. 

It's also a good idea if you check out the solutions in this FAQ as well.

In case the issue persists, it'd be great if you could tell us the exact Spotify version you're running. If you don't know how to check it-go to this page.

Let us know how you get on. We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Elena,

Thanks for responding!

WRT the exact version of Spotify, if you read my post it is clearly listed there.

WRT adding /etc/hosts entries for fastly and spotify, I went ahead and did that.

WRT the FIrewall, it is off on my Mac so no exceptions make sense for Spotify.

Hey @gwhiz,

Thanks for your reply and for keeping us posted 🙂

We'd like to gather as much info as possible. Did you notice if this happens with specific playlists/albums or does it happen with all the content you select?

On another note, is this happening when you use the web player on Chrome while you're developing other actions on said browser? It'd be awesome if you could check.

Make sure your browser is up-to-date. Check and update it in your browser’s Help section. If there's one, try updating it to check if you see any difference. Just to confirm, are you using the Connect feature while streaming music from your computer?

Lastly, can you check if you notice any difference by changing the internet connection you're using? If possible, you can create a hotspot with the cellular data of your mobile device.

Keep us in the loop and don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions.

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

If you're receiving a song-playing error using Spotify on the desktop or the Spotify web app, try restarting your computer. Performing a restart may clear up underlying issues with your operating system that are affecting Spotify and give the music app a fresh environment.

Regards,

Will

remove ALL entries from the hosts file 

what kind of advice is that? this might disrupt other things heavily. don't follow this suggestion.

Suggested posts