Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Crashing on startup/search issues

Solved!

Crashing on startup/search issues

Hi all,

A number of users are experiencing some Spotify issues at the moment - crashing on startup, search not working, etc.

Could you help us out by posting the following info:

-- Operating system(s) affected

-- Version of Spotify

-- Country

Thanks everyone. The more accurate info we can collect the faster we can get this fixed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.
291 Replies

Typical, post that its crashing & now its working again, assume whatever server side issue that was causing this has been fixed.

Just glad its working.

Spent a long time trying to fix problem (several unistall/install/restart attempts)...  Not sure how problem got fixed, but it just started working again desktop and iphone!

Glad it's working, but sad to have missed out on my morning workout since I spent all of my time trying to get spotify fixed and operating properly so I could listen to my workout songs...

Its still not working for me. I uninstalled, rebooted, downloaded from the Spotify website, installed and every time I try to launch (on three different systems) it says: Spotify has stopped working. A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available. 

Hey guys,

This should be fixed for you all now. If not, a quick log out and in should do the job.

Do let us know if the problem continues to occur though and we'll look into it further.

Thanks for reporting this to us so quickly too, it allowed us to bring it to the right team and get it fixed right away.

Happy listening, and - to all our friends in the US - have a great 4th of july!

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Ummmm...yeah...still not fixed. As previously stated: Windows 7 64bit uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled after downloading from the Spotify website, program errors out upon launching. 

UPDATE: Seems to be fixed now. Thanks!

Crashes within 10 sec. of launching, since latest update.

OSX 10.8.4

Spotify version:

0.9.1.53.g876fa9df

USA

Mine is still not working. I've uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled multiple times. Each time it downloads from the Spotify website and the problem remains. It crashes immediately upon launching. As much as i like Spotify, the time lost on trying to resolve this problem is not worth the money wasted on a subscription I've wastes days trying to fix. I am ready to cancel my subscription.

Ok. Uninstalled (AGAIN). Rebooted (AGAIN). Downloaded from the Spotify website (AGAIN). Launched the application (AGAIN). Rebooted for the hell of it. Waited 5 minutes just in case. Launched the program, it finally loaded, logged in and...it tells me to install the latest version exit the program?! What just happened? Are you serious? And then...then it crashes AGAIN! WTF people? It's fixed? Yeah right.

-- Operating system(s) affected: 10.8.3
-- Version of Spotify: 0.9.0.128.g3134f863

Behavior: Spotify freezes following an automatic update.

Reason: When Spotify automatically updates itself in Mountain Lion, it does not install it in the Applications folder. Instead it installs it in an alternate folder (~/Applications). This results in two versions of Spotify that conflict with each other. This has been brought to Spotify's attention for months, but they have not acknowledged it.

Temporary solution: Delete the update (by clicking on Go > Go to folder > ~/Applications). However, you must do this every time Spotify automatically updates itself, which is nearly every day.

Permanent solution #1: Spotify needs to use an appropriate method for updating in Mountain Lion, preferably giving the user the choice of whether to update or not.

Permanent solution #2: Cancel your subscription to Spotify and switch to a music service that doesn't have this annoying behavior and has a more responsive user support system.  Which is what I am very close to doing.

I seem to have got my spotify working. When tiding my PC (Windows 7 64bit) I copied the Spotify setup file to another folder. This created a duplicate setup file and when I ran Spotify it crashed. Then when I deleted the duplicate Spotify setup file it now works.

Hi, I am new on premium spotify

I used Free Spottify in the past, but I didnt have enought time to use my commputer so I have decide to upgrade to premium touse my mobile.

But my surprise is that now my Desktop Spotify is very very very Slow, Songs stop suddenly and Search worrk very baddly.

I hope these issues were fixed soon. 

Windows 7

Spotify 0.9.1.57

Spain

Premiun with Movistar subscription

using Facebook  to loggin!

Sorry for my bad English!!

Regards

Problems with Spotify crashing after downloading the new update. Works on startup, then freezes after playing 1 song... Please fix soon, or I'll have to cancel my Premium subscription.

Thanks

-- Operating system(s) affected: Vista

-- Version of Spotify: 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

EDIT: Just reinstalled Spotify to see if that would help. Instead, the program isn't loading *at all* now....  It lets me log in and I see the icon in the tray on the bottom right, but the Spotify screen doesn't pop-up.

Using 10.8.4

Followed directions uninstalling and reinstalling.

Opened ports and firewall for Spotify.

Using Norton Internet Security with customized allowances.

Following upgrade, not able to load Spotify at all.

Hi. Could you try the troubleshooting steps in this post. If it doesn't work for you, it will help if you post the template information detailed in that post. Thanks.

No, nothing helps. 

I have tried everything suggested.

Description
Since downloading the newest update, Spotify has stopped working entirely.
It can't load the data and then it either crashes or I have to force quit it.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps
1. First I did this - downloaded the new Spotify
2. Then I did that - then I removed the cache files and any other files on my computer with the name Spotify (except the inataller)
3. I also did this - then I restarted my computer
4. then this - then I installed Spotify
5. then this - then I opened up the necessary ports and firewall
6. and finally, this - then it crashed and I repeated steps above.

What I expected to happen
the program to launch

What actually happened
The whirly bird came on for about an hour until I force quit

My Operating System
(From the Apple menu, select About This Mac)
OS X 10.8.4

My Spotify version
E.g. 0.8.4.

My internet provider and country
Verizon FIOS - U.S.

My username
mromen
No screenshots available

merrilyn - I've just done some maintenance on your account. Still getting the crashes?

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

thanks, Richard! 

It seems to have worked. 
Also, I think my Norton Firewall was interfering with getting online.

Thanks, again,

Merrilyn

Heya Richard, I'm hoping you can do something similar for me because my spotify started crashing to desktop since yesterday. I managed to start it up once and it worked for a while but now it's back to crashing :(.

@SC2Scar wrote:

Heya Richard, I'm hoping you can do something similar for me because my spotify started crashing to desktop since yesterday. I managed to start it up once and it worked for a while but now it's back to crashing :(.

Given it a go. Any better?

Version 9.1.57.ge7405149

windows 7

USA

As of 4:30 EST Spotify is working as expected again!!! yippeeee

Suggested posts