Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop App (Mac) keeps on stalling after a few minutes of use.

Desktop App (Mac) keeps on stalling after a few minutes of use.

Plan

Premium

Country

Mexico

Device

Macbook Pro late 2019

Operating System

MacOS 10.14.6

Over the past few days, my desktop app keeps on stalling after a few minutes of use. It won't let me move songs within a playlist or to another one, it won't let me do a search and it won't load my playlists. Trying to quit the app, only results in an unresponsive app (which keeps on playing the last track), hence I must force it to quit. 

It is very time consuming to keep on forcing quits and relaunching every couple of minutes, and becomes very frustrating not being able to use the app as intended.

I'd much appreciate any help.

15 Replies

Hey @OmarVelBa, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you try a clean reinstall of the Spotify app following these steps

If that doesn't help, can you let me know if this happens when you're on a different network connection? You can also attach a screenshot or screen recording of what you're seeing exactly and I'll take a closer look.

Let me know how this goes!

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi @Billy-J

Thanks for your reply.

I"ve already done a couple of clean-reinstalls and I've changed to a different network as you suggested, but the issue remains the same.

I am attaching a video showing the issue.

Hey @OmarVelBa

Could you try disabling hardware acceleration and see if you notice any improvements? This can be found in the Settings Menu > Show Advanced Settings > Compatibility.

Another thing to check is if you have any cleaning/power management apps enabled, and if you do, make sure to set Spotify as an exception.

If that doesn't do the trick, I can also recommend you try logging in to a different account to see if that makes a difference.

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hello Again @Billy-J

1. I just couldn't find the hardware acceleration setting under Settings Menu > Show Advanced Settings > Compatibility as you suggested. I am attaching images of what I found in settings.

2. I don't have any cleaning/power management apps installed on my computer.

3. I logged in with a new account (no playlists, no saved songs, no followers), and after a few minutes of listening, searching and creating a playlist, it stalled again.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 15.28.18.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 15.28.39.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 15.28.47.png

Hey @OmarVelBa

If you aren't able to see the Hardware Acceleration option in your settings, let me know if you see this option by pressing on Spotify in the top menu bar.

You can also check out this link with some additional steps to try.

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hey @Billy-J

I did find the Hardware Acceleration option under the Spotify menu, and I turned it off.

I also followed all the steps in the link you provided.

None of this seems to solve my issue. 😞

Hey @OmarVelBa

Okay, thanks for trying those steps as well. Next, could you try to check your host's files? To do that you can follow these steps:

1. Open Finder and, in Finder’s menu bar, select Go > Go to Folder. In the box, type the following location: /private/etc/hosts and press return
  2. A new Finder window will open and your Mac’s hosts file will be selected. Click and drag it out of the Finder window and drop it on your desktop
  3. To open it, simply double-click and it will display the file’s contents in TextEdit 
  4. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address
  5. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  6. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hi @Billy-J

In the hosts document there were no entries with Spotify.

Waiting for further instructions.

Hey @OmarVelBa,

I'll need some more information about the app so I can take a closer look at this.

Could let me know the Spotify version and if you're able to use our web player without any issues?

Also, does the app behave the same way when using offline mode?

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hi @Billy-J

My Spotify version is: 1.1.38.558.g4b100958

I can use the web player without any problem.

In offline mode the app seems to work well. But you have to consider that while in that mode, I am not searching, rearranging and sorting my playlists as I've been doing for the past few days, when the problem first began.

Hey @OmarVelBa,

Last thing we could try is log out > restart the device > log back in.

If that doesn't help, I'll see what else to suggest.

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hey @Billy-J

That didn't work either. 😞

It's kinda frustrating!

Hope you can come up with another solution.

I've noticed that sometimes when the app stalls, if left alone it can resume functioning after a few minutes. But this only happens sometimes. The rest of the times it will remain stalled or even crash completely.

Best regards.

Hey @OmarVelBa

In this case, I'd recommend checking out this Ongoing issue. Make sure to add your +VOTE which helps with Spotify's investigation. You can also subscribe to the thread by clicking the 3 dots at the top right-hand corner.

I hope this gets fixed soon. If you need anything else, you can always start a new topic and the Community will be happy to help!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Hey @Billy-J

I just wanted to let you know that I've noticed my issue happens way more often when iTunes is open at the same time. Does this give you any other ideas?

Hey @OmarVelBa,

I saw that you posted in the Ongoing Issue thread, so I’ll make sure to pass all the info on to the right team 🙂

Have a nice day!

Billy-JSpotify Star

Suggested posts