Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Artist Page, Discography UI (Album & List view)

[Desktop] Artist Page, Discography UI (Album & List view)

US Premium

Macbook Air M1

My Question or Issue

First, I usually browse artist page in this view for years of using Spotify desktop app.

image.png

There was this List view which you can toggle, but the app remembers your choice for next time. I never use List view and it doesn't bother me.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.14.20.png

NOW, THIS IS GONE!!! The List view becomes default UI.

Every time, to go to a list of Album view, now I have to 

1st click

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.16.20.png

2nd click

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.16.48.png

 3rd click to open the dropdown list + 4th click to select Album

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.12.08.png

While in the past, it ONLY takes one click to browse full discography (See All) and it remembers my default setting of Album view, and the Album type was on top, and then Singles and EPs, Compilations are listed in a separate section down below. Longer ago, it doesn't even required any click to view that because you don't even have to click 'See All' when they're in full display under Artist Page.

So, Spotify, you're making the app unusable, from 0 click to 1 click and now 4 clicks!!!?

Are the developers and product managers even use and test the desktop app?!

Furthermore, in the past, click any album from Artist page will open that Album only. Now the List view again! It takes one extra click to go to that single album. Do you consider user who only wants to play one single album, either repeat on or off, and we don't want the next album and full discography in the play queue???!

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.30.59.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.31.41.png

<Target after 2nd Click>

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.32.39.png

Really, Spotify, what are you thinking? Can you ask your staff to use your own product first? You're NOT reading user feedback regarding the new desktop app and you're now closed the Idea submission channel and making the desktop app even worse so no one can do constructive criticism.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Community-Blog/The-New-Desktop-App/ba-p/5175848

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 00.06.58.png

Please bring back the optional default view setting and make this a usable app. I'm paying to enjoy music rather than spending time to request for basic functions.

4 Replies

Hey there @aprilsnow

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

On another note, we understand where you're coming from regarding the Ideas submissions. This is an important source of feedback and suggestions for us, and since we aim to take all of them into review, we've temporarily paused them to make sure all pending submissions are properly checked on a timely manner.

Lastly, the selected view in discography should stay as selected every time you open the app. In this case, we suggest that you log out, restart your PC and log back in to see if that makes the difference. 

If this doesn't do the trick, it's well worth running a clean reinstall to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. This one is more thorough than the usual one. 

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi Eni,

Appreciated your feedback on this, after a clean reinstall, I'm able to see the view is memorized now.

However, I'm still concerned with 2 issues raised above:

1) with the album view, it by default lists ALL, while on the mobile app, it lists all, but it puts Album, EP/Singles, Compilations in separate sections. And it was like this on desktop app as well, but now it's all mixed together.

2) The 2nd issue I raised above remains - click any album from Artist page is open in List view by default now. If Spotify memorize my view setting in Album, then I think it makes sense this should follow the setting.

Please kindly advise.

Hey @aprilsnow,

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us!
As keeping the app as user-friendly as possible is a thing we constantly strive for, we've passed on your feedback to the right folks 🙂
We're here for you if anything else comes to mind in the meantime.
Cheers!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks, Vasil. I will wait a feedback on this. Overall, the current desktop app creates too many additional clicks since the big UI update. And those really are unnecessary clicks if the app is meant to be used on desktop. I really wish Spotify can consider desktop app user experience.

Suggested posts