Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Bug: tooltip sometimes does not disappear

[Desktop] Bug: tooltip sometimes does not disappear

In the MacOS desktop app, tooltips sometimes stay shown forever, and quite irritatingly, are on top of other apps even when the focus is switched.

Hiding Spotify with Cmd+H does hide the tooltip, but once Spotify is restored it shows up again. Restarting the app does remove the tooltip.

Triggering another tooltip also helps, but triggering a tooltip in Spotify GUI is actually surprisingly unintuitive (one has to click on the item first and then hover).

This happens quite randomly, about once every few days. If I manage to figure out how to reproduce it exactly, I will post here.

14 Replies

on the webplayer and windows 11 to. Happens for me (nearly) always.

Click on Song and the Tooltip "Play Songname from xyz" pops up and stays till i click on something else.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Could you please share with us the following so we can get a better overview of what's happening? We'll look into this further.

• A screenshot or a video recording of the issue.
  • Did this occur, for example, after an update?
  • Any troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far.

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It occurs both in the desktop application and on the webplayer on both computer I run spotify on (Both windows 10). I haven't figured out a way to reproduce it reliably but it happens more often than it doesn't. It has been occurring since early November.

Version I am running right now:

Spotify for Windows
1.1.72.439.gc253025e

spotify.png

Hey @tszil,

Thanks for the info.

Could you please try the following to check if anything changes:

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

I can also confirm this is a persistent issue in the macOS client. The mouse click events don't "release," which seems to incorrectly produce hover events (and show the tooltips). The most prominent location is when you are looking at songs in a playlist. Clicking a song correctly selects it, but even if you move the cursor away from the selected area, the tooltip still shows up and doesn't go away until you click somewhere else.

Doing a clean reinstall of the app doesn't seem to have any effect.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 4.11.40 PM.png

Hey @vcbcb,

Thanks for sharing the info with us 🙂 

Mind also answering in detail to the questions @Ver asked here? Each of you sharing this info will help us gain a better understanding of its context, which would be extremely useful.

Cheers! 

Mario Moderator

Hey @Mario,

I've attached a quick screen recording. You can see that when I click a song in the playlist, the song highlights but then the tooltip appears and does not go away even if the mouse cursor leaves the selected region. I have to click somewhere else to get the tooltip to disappear.

This broke some time ago, not sure exactly which version but it's been at least a month by my rough recollection. I'm currently running Spotify for macOS (Intel)
1.1.73.517.gbef50fdb (latest at time of posting). Like I said in my original post, I have tried the suggested troubleshooting steps of doing a clean reinstall of the app and signing in/out of various accounts but nothing helps, so I believe this is a bug in the application itself that needs to be addressed.

Hey @vcbcb,

Thanks for your reply and the video.

We'll pass this on to the right teams. Even though we can't commit to a timeline for when this will be permanently fixed, optimizations are carried out with each update so this doesn't happen too often.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I have the same issue and it's quite annoying. So annoying, in fact, that I spend much of my time unselecting songs just to remove the tooltip.

I'm on Windows 10.

Regarding the tooltip that appears and stays on top of other windows, I managed to find a way to reproduce it. It seems like only the tooltip of the "Full screen" button on the bottom-right is problematic.

To reproduce it, (1) hover the button and wait till the tooltip appear, (2) hide Spotify (Cmd+H), (3) switch back to Spotify (Cmd+Tab), (4) switch to another window (Cmd+Tab).

The tooltip stays visible until the focus is switched back to Spotify and the full screen button is hovered over again.

I have to laugh when this gets called an "optimization," as if it wasn't working totally fine before. Not only that, but support has to ask for examples of this, as if it wouldn't happen on their public release versions, too.

The tooltip issue will likely persist for some time since Spotify is a dumpster fire when it comes to updates. Shame too because their product is still one of the best out there, but I cannot believe they are aloof to this issue or how it would suddenly pop up. Fix your stuff, Spotify, y'all are a bunch of clowns.

+1. Very annoying.

This is INSANELY annoying, and has been happening for months now. 😕

Still happening. My workaround on macOS is moving Spotify to it's own desktop, and then the bug doesn't intefere with my working desktops.

I'm using a M1 MacBook on macOS Ventura (13.2).

Suggested posts