Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Search] CMD+L isn't activating search bar

[Desktop][Search] CMD+L isn't activating search bar

After updating to Spotify for macOS 1.1.83.956.gbe7ea9a7 whenever I use the keyboard shortcut CMD+L and try to type, I get error noises for the search bar isn't automatically active like it was in previous versions. Then when I try to manually click it, it doesn't activate. I have to restart the app. I'm using macOS 10.13.6. I can't upgrade because my Mac isn't compatible with the latest OSs.

8 Replies

Hey @aarlihn,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We weren't able to reproduce this issue on our end, so we'd like you to try performing a clean reinstall of the app as described on this page. Did it resolve the issue?

Does the same happen if you use a different shortcut to invoke the search field? Here the shortcuts are listed.

The error may very well be due to the older iOS version of the Mac.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi,

I believe one of the latest updates fixed the issue. The shortcut works as expected.

Thanks

Hey @aarlihn,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

We're glad to know that everything is working well by now. We appreciate the time you took sharing this info. 

In case you have any additional questions, remember that the Community is just a post away.

Cheers!

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello,

In Spotify for macOS (Intel) version 1.1.95.893.g6cf4d40c the issue is back. CMD+L activates the search bar but only for a second as it takes me to the search page. I then have to press CMD+L again for the cursor to stay active so I can type.

Hey @aarlihn,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It's a good idea to try reinstalling Spotify as @Dian suggested in the replies. This not only tends to solve the issues with the app's performance, but also remove any outdated files and installs the latest version available so that you don't miss out on any fixes. 

If this doesn't help, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in on your computer and test this out to see if they'll experience the same?

Let us know how things work out, we'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

LyubkaModerator

Hey,

I just reinstalled Spotify completely but the problem persists. I don't have another computer to use. Clicking the search bar keeps the cursor blinking, but trying to use the keyboard shortcut CMD+L flashes the cursor in the search bar for a second as Spotify goes to the search page. I then have to manually re-enter the search bar.

Hey @aarlihn,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

We've gone ahead and passed this info onto the right team. Rest assured this is being investigated. In the meantime, we suggest you use the shortcut CMD+K, so you can open a quick search bar. You can find out how to check all the available shortcuts in this article.

It'd be awesome if you could share a screenshot of how you see the app when replicating this behavior.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator

Thanks Aleja for the shortcut! Spotify's last update to version 1.1.96.785.g464c973a has fixed this bug!

Suggested posts