Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Should I give up paying for Premium? Desktop app keeps stoping !!

[Desktop] Should I give up paying for Premium? Desktop app keeps stoping !!

I'm on High Sierra (10.13.6) and all software is up to date. Spotify works fine, but, when I am away from the computer but still would like to listen to some music, it stops. Time varies, between 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes I find the "Cannot play current song" error message, sometimes not even that, it just stops.

I have followed you recommended procedure and completely uninstalled the app and all settings, cache folder, etc...

I have no problem playing webradios for hours. or any other music players. Itunes keeps playing for as long as I desire, and so does Google Play Music, so I believe this must be something Spotify related.

Before I give up on a service I have come to love, is there any way some Spotify staff member could help me? Some way to send debug info?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

Plan

Premium Family

Country

Spain

Device

Imac late 2013

Operating System

High Sierra (10.13.6)

My Question or Issue

Spotify works fine, but, when I am away from the computer but still would like to listen to some music, it stops. Time varies, between 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes I find the "Cannot play current song" error message, sometimes not even that, it just stops.

I have followed you recommended procedure and completely uninstalled the app and all settings, cache folder, turned hardware acceleration on and off...etc...

I have no problem playing webradios for hours. or any other music players. Itunes keeps playing for as long as I desire, and so does Google Play Music, so I believe this must be something Spotify related.

Before I give up on a service I have come to love, is there any way some Spotify staff member could help me? Some way to send debug info?

Thanks in advance,

Luis

5 Replies

Hey @sinarquia, welcome to the Community.
Hope you're doing great!

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with Spotify.

Does this happen  in every playlist or specific ones?

Have you tried with another Spotify account to see if that helps?

Also, make sure you have not set you iMac to auto sleep after a certain period of time.

Let me know how that goes 🙂

Hi ! Thanks for your answer; I have indeed tried with another account, and the same thing happens. The music stopping happens with radio stations, autoplay option...

What else could I try?

As a said earlier, it is not a problem with any webradios, which can play from the browser for hours with no problem, or with iTunes or Google Play Music.. so I believe autosleep is not the culprit.

Hey @sinarquia,

Sorry for the delay 🙂

Sounds like the music from Spotify stops after the PC goes to sleep/locks.

Can you confrim that this happens when your PC goes into one of these modes? Do you get any error messages after you wakes up the PC?

If that happens when your PC goes to sleep or locks please note that it's expected that the music stops after entering Sleep mode.

Also, what do you mean by 'The music stopping happens with radio stations, autoplay option...'?

Please let me know.

Hi!

The computer does not go to sleep , it's just that I'm not at the keyboard. The screen turns off, but music keeps on playing in the browser (if it's a webradio) of other software (iTunes, Google Play Music...) for hours.

It's just Spotify that stops playing after a certain amount of time, and it is driving me insane! As a said earlier, I am considering giving up on my paying subscription.

Thanks for your help.

Any other ideas would be appreciated. Is threre no way to get some debug info from Spotify??

Hey @sinarquia,

Could you try the following and see if Spotify still switches off:

• Play Spotify using the web player
  • Control the desktop via their mobile app?

Keep me posted 🙂

Suggested posts