Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Desktop Spotify says I'm offline when VPN (Private Internet Access) PIA is on

Desktop Spotify says I'm offline when VPN (Private Internet Access) PIA is on

Sorry if this is a repeat post, but I have read what other users have similiarly complained about here and either it was a different set of circumstances or not solved.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA) VPN and when I open Spotify on my iMac (High Sierra/10.13.3) Spotify says I'm offline. 

When I shut the VPN off and restart Spotify it works. Some posts say this is the solution, but I don't want to shut off my VPN to listen.

Is there something I can do to configure this properly?

Thanks!

4 Replies

Hey @oqnyc,

Spotify officially doesn't support the use of VPNs, so I'd recommend turning it off when you're wanting to use Spotify.

Thanks 🙂

MaximSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Spotify blocks the known IPs of VPN services because Spotify hates privacy and hates freedom.

I might suggest switching to an unpopular VPN service as the IPs are less likely to be noticed and blocked by Spotify.

I'm waiting for my PIA subscriptoin to expire then I'm going to try to find a less popular (non-logging) VPN to try.

In the mean time, I've resorted to hooking up a Raspberry Pi computer JUST to run Spotify without tunneling (I'm in the US). It's annoying and a waste of power, but Spotify hates user experience and hates the climate too. 

I solved this issue by changing my DNS ip's to google's public ones: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Works like a charm.  This solution was provided to me by Spotify support.  Spotify DOES support US based VPNs.

This is not correct.  They support the use of VPN's.

Suggested posts