Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable web player

Disable web player

Plan

Premium

Operating System

macOS 10.15.4

My Question or Issue

The new web player now works in Safari. When I click a Spotify link, it now opens in the web player instead of in the old open.spotify.com. The old open.spotify.com allowed me to open the song in the desktop app and listen to it. The new web player doesn't allow this, and plays no sound (which I don't actually care about, since the web player is crippled and much worse than the desktop app). How can I force song links to open in the Spotify desktop app?

5 Replies

Hey @eproxus,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Since the Web Player is now available on Safari, clicking on a Spotify link is likely to open the content directly in the web browser. If you click on the three dots menu next to a song's or playlist's title, you'll see the Open in Desktop app option that you can choose if you'd like to switch. 

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with. 

Have a nice day!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I had this problem with Chrome. I'd try to open Spotify songs or just... the Spotify desktop app and open.spotify.com chrome "app" would open instead. 

In the upper-right there's a 3 dot menu. If you click it you can click "uninstall spotify". This should fix it.

Seems like I've been hacked. Changed my password, uninstalled and reinstalled but foreign playlists keep hijacking my Spotify app w a chrome browser, how do I disconnect the chrome permanently?

Seems like there is a back door via the chrome browser

Hey @shazzer321,

Thanks for joining the thread!
Could you take a look at this article - the 'log out everywhere' step should help you out.
Keep in mind that any unknown 3rd party apps you see on the account page should also be removed.
Let us know how it goes!

VasilModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts