Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Solved!
Highlighted
4 people liked this

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications? ** Solved (kinda hacky) **

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-05-15 06:49 PM

This is a very hacky way to do it.

Warning: If you don't know what I am talking about here, you probably shouldn't do it, if you mess up your app, just delete it and re-download it to fix it.

On to the hack, basically you change the way spotify is launched.

You will need to change the Spotify.app/Contents/Info.plist file and add the following key/boolean to it, must be before the </dict> closing tag: 

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<true/>

Close the spotify, and reopen it again. 

This tells the OS not to show an icon on the dock when launching the app, because it will be treated as a background app.

The nice thing about this, is that if yo already have a dock icon in the dock, you can still launch it by clicking it and also use it to bring the window forward by clicking it again.

The only weird thing is that it looks like the app is not running, when in reality it is.

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-05-15 07:49 PM

This works. Sad that it has come to this, and the app makers would rather shove $hit down the user's throat. Apple is partly to blame as well.

1 person liked this

Concert VIP
‎2015-05-15 08:34 PM

I have tried this, but the problem is that you make Spotify into a background only app, meaning that you don't have access to the menus, so you lose quite a lot. Come on Spotify, really? We are PAYING for this app, why do we need to be nagged by this crappy notifications.

2 people liked this

Music Fan
‎2015-06-14 06:13 AM

I'm sure after the years of comments this has been resolved.... If not, BUMP.

Im guessing itunes streaming will let me control notifications...?

1 person liked this

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Music Lover
‎2015-06-20 12:24 AM

Notifications should only be used for things of import and changes to a random playlist do not qualify as such.  Spotify is essentially spamming all of it's users with no apparent way to 1) reset the count number (opening the app doesn't do it) and 2) disable the badge 'notifications' for those of us that are OCD enough to launch programs just to remove badges.  This is annoying enough to me that I am debating uninstalling the app.

Please follow guide design principles by addressing the issues in some way.

1 person liked this

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Music Lover
‎2015-06-20 09:41 AM

I found another solution - moved to Deezer premium

6 people liked this

Music Lover
‎2015-07-04 04:05 PM

I just canceled my Spotify account and signed up for Apple Music.

Good bye, Spotify. You could have listened to the 12 pages of complaints about this issue but you chose to ignore your paying users. But now there's an alternative for people with Macs so I don't have to deal with your stupid giant red glaring notifications interrupting my work anymore. 

1 person liked this

Festival Fanatic
‎2015-07-13 08:25 PM

I'm about to cancel my account, too!  SO tired of these worthless, annoying notifications!

1 person liked this

Music Fan
‎2015-07-17 10:23 AM

Sort it out, Spotify!

Gig Goer
‎2015-07-17 03:50 PM
SUGGESTED POSTS