Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Solved!

Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Edited
Festival Fanatic
‎2012-08-14 10:53 PM

I don't need to see the dock icon bounce and have a distracting red badge on Spotify just because someone added a song in one of the hundred playlists I'm subcribed to.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Update:

Go ahead and vote up this "idea" over here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-an-option-to-disable-notifications/idi-p/156288

Apparently Spotify changes things only according to the amount of "Kudos" a certain idea receives.

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Edited
Music Lover
‎2013-12-04 09:59 PM

QUOTE:

In the meantime, you can also choose to hide the spotify app from the dock bar, even when it's running:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/68915/hide-a-running-app-from-dock

To open up spotify, you'll have to launch it from Spotlight.

Oh thank you for this! You are my hero today!!

I've wasted half an afternoon trying to find a fix for this. I use the Simplify app so I didn't even need the icon -- and the constant grating irritation from the blurry bouncing goofiness on my dock had me very close to rage-quitting my premium subscription. I feel so relieved that I never have to look at it again.

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications? ** Solved (kinda hacky) **

Edited
Music Lover
‎2015-05-15 06:49 PM

This is a very hacky way to do it.

Warning: If you don't know what I am talking about here, you probably shouldn't do it, if you mess up your app, just delete it and re-download it to fix it.

On to the hack, basically you change the way spotify is launched.

You will need to change the Spotify.app/Contents/Info.plist file and add the following key/boolean to it, must be before the </dict> closing tag: 

<key>LSUIElement</key>
<true/>

Close the spotify, and reopen it again. 

This tells the OS not to show an icon on the dock when launching the app, because it will be treated as a background app.

The nice thing about this, is that if yo already have a dock icon in the dock, you can still launch it by clicking it and also use it to bring the window forward by clicking it again.

The only weird thing is that it looks like the app is not running, when in reality it is.

Re: Disabling Mac OS X Dock badge notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Bedroom Songwriter
‎2015-10-01 12:15 AM

Concert Regular
‎2015-10-08 06:29 PM
This morning I had two items in my Notifications and it displayed in the badge count. I had completely disabled all notifications in the Notification Settings page in my account but Spotify doesn't care. The two notifications were from Spotify telling me that they added more songs to a couple playlists I follow. Honestly, I could give a **bleep** that they added them because if the playlist is stale, I will just stop listening to it and they will improve the playlist or not based on activity which they track anyway. So, I will use the app on my mobile devices, and just not use it on the Mac since they can't figure out how to manage this simple aspect.
147 Replies

Re: Disabling notifications about additions to playlists I'm subscribed to?

Festival Fanatic
‎2012-08-22 09:45 AM

bump.

Edited
Internet Hit
‎2012-08-22 12:21 PM

I agree. 

and started another thread before i read this. 

Music Fan
‎2012-08-27 02:26 PM

Another vote to not have notifications show a badge in the dock. Notifications about an updated playlist are not the same level of importance as a new email.

ICB
Festival Fanatic
‎2012-08-30 09:37 AM

Also my vote: it is very distracting, while the fact that another song has been added is of no/low importance for users...

Concert VIP
‎2012-08-30 12:04 PM

still not able to turn them off? Spotify, please check.

Edited
Music Lover
‎2012-09-05 04:52 PM

Worse, I'm getting notifications for playlists I've unsubscribed from. Aside from this annoyance I'd really like to turn off all notifications

Highlighted

Concert VIP
‎2012-09-07 06:37 PM

This is indeed really annoying.

Shoving notifications into the user's face is never a good idea. Every single desktop application lets me turn them off, except spotify. Given the quality of the desktop application so far, this is a big flaw.

Music Lover
‎2012-09-13 12:09 PM

Same problem for me. I'm also getting notifications from playlists that I've unsubscribed from and it's driving me mad.

Spotify, please fix the unsubscription problem and make dock notifications optional.

Festival Fanatic
‎2012-09-16 02:46 PM

Bump, can't believe this still hasn't been fixed.

Spotify on OS X has been top-notch in terms of UX before this issue.

SUGGESTED POSTS