Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Downloaded Album Questions

Downloaded Album Questions

I recently tried to download an album for offline listening just try out this feature of Spotify. I rarely need to download anything for offline use, but I figured I'd at least give it a try to see how well it works. So far, I'm not impressed. I "downloaded" Five Finger Death Punch's latest album (twice so far), and both times I attempted to listen to it offline it was no longer "downloaded." I really wish Spotify offered more information about the whole downloading process. Simply selecting "offline playback" doesn't give me ANY indication of the download status to my device. How long does it take to download an album to my iPhone? No clue. If they'd actually show a download status complete indicator for either the whole album or each track as they are stored on the device, that'd be wonderful. As of right now all tracks appear to be downloaded instantly (via the little green arrow) once I select the album for offline playback. I really love how Rhapsody handles their offline playback. They have a dedicated offline mode you can launch the app in, there's a clear status indication as each track is downloaded to your device, and they have a "downloads" folder to browse your downloaded tracks easily. Now, I do understand that Spotify has an offline filter, but it's kinda hidden, and not very streamlined. Any thoughts or ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!
3 Replies

Hello there,

The way to get an album offline is to save it as a playlist in the desktop app.

Open the album page and drag the title on the left colum in the section playlist or in any folder you want in this section. (not in Your Music)

Once you have it as a playlist you can toggle it offline.

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This issue seems to have resolved itself. ๐Ÿ™‚

Good news!

A new desktop app update with a new design is currently rolling out to all users. One of the new features is the ability to download albums and podcasts just like you can in the mobile app.

You can read more info about the new desktop app in this news article:

Introducing a New Spotify Experience Across Desktop App and Web Player 

The desktop team also has a blog post in the community about it:

The New Desktop App

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts