Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dragging full albums into playlists on Mac

Solved!

Dragging full albums into playlists on Mac

As of today, I am no longer able to drag an entire album into a playlist on my mac desktop app. Nor am I able to select all (Command-A on mac) to be able to drag. Currently I am only able to go to drop down menu to add album to a playlist. This is a feature I use often to create playlists. Any ideas why I am having this issue suddenly today (have never had this issue before).

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @benlind,

Can you please try to clear cache and reinstall Spotify following the steps here?

Please let us know how if it helps.

View solution in original post

39 Replies

Hey there,

strange. I'm still able to do that but as far as I know that CMD+A shortcut never worked on the album view. What you can do is select the first track, hold SHIFT and click on the last track, then all of the songs are selected and can be dropped to a playlist. 

I'm having the same problem on a PC - can no longer drag the whole album to 'New Playlist'.

Loved that feature, hope it hasn't been taken away...

I started a thread yesterday on the same thing. It's been since the last update. It's kind of astonishing that continually make the UI worse by removing functionality and flexibility.

Click-Shift on top and then click-shift at the bottom  has stopped working too. The only way to get a whole album in a playlist is to command-click every song or go to the menu and add it to the playlist

I repost here what I answered on the other similar topic :

That's right.

It happened two days ago. And, not yet, explanations to give the reason why..

As I really need that feature, the only temporarily solution I found is to create a private playlist called "preview" and to drag in it one song per album to keep track of it.

The problem is not to have to create a playlist and drag songs from the album which is a waste of time BUT it's what we could do before the problem happens, I mean - Drag the full album from its title and it becomes instantly a playlist.

http://www.soundofus.com

http://www.soundofus.com/focus/

http://twitter.com/soundofus

SoundofusSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Same problem. This kind of thing is ridiculous. I thought I had gone crazy—"wait, couldn't I do that before?" I'm starting to feel like an unwilling beta tester.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet?  We have a MAC and have had the same problem since Tuesday too, resorting to creating a new playlist, naming it the albulm and dragging each individual track into it - not ideal.  SPOTIFY - CAN YOU ANSWER THIS PROBLEM?

Same problem here on Yosemite, Macbook Pro 13in. Cmd+A works in playlists, but not on individual album pages. Clicking and dragging an album name to a playlist does not work.

Here is the solution, at least if you have a PC.

Right-click on the title of the album, and then hover the cursor over "Add to..." A listing of your albums and (if you have them) folders, will then appear. If you don't want to put the album into a folder, click on "New playlist" at the top of the list. If you want to put the album into a folder, hover over the name of that folder, and a similar list of the albums (or subfolders) in that folder will appear. Once you have drilled down to the folder you want to put the album in, click on "New playlist" at the top. Bingo.

I'm not sure how this would work on a Mac, since as far as I know, Apple doesn't believe in right-clicking. Maybe Command-click?

In addition to right-clicking on the album title, click on the small circle with an ellipsis in it (...) that's just to the right of the "Save" button under the album title.

I assume this will work on a Mac.

NGold, If you read my original post, I mentioned that I know that you can do that. That is not a solution to the problem. Up until Tuesday, you could just drag any album by its cover into any playlist. I am aware you can go to to the drop down menu as you mention here, but that is not as easy as it was to just drag the albums. 

You can also go into the play queue/history and drag the album title from the "album" column, or from an existing playlist or search results depending on where you are in the app - it seems to work with anything in the "album" column.  However, it's extremely frustrating that more and more features are being sneakily removed like having the rug pulled out from under us 😕

@ NGold - on Mac, Ctrl+Click brings up the contextual drop-down menu which you refer to.  the right mouse button on 3rd party mice is programmable, so if you want it to right-click, simulating default PC function, this can certainly be selected in the mouse system preferences. I never used Mac mice so i don't know on those.

Hello everyone!

This should still be working.

Which Spotify version are you all running?

Thanks!

I am running version 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad on Yosemite with a 2009 Macbook Pro 13in.

The problem isn't that I cannot drag the album name at all (I can drag it), but that it won't drop into a playlist. Here is a screenshot of what is happening:

Spotify.png

As you can see, I can drag the album name, but when I release it over a playlist, it does not get added to the playlist. In the past, when I dragged an album name over a playlist, the playlist name would be highlighted in white to show that the album would be added to it. Now, as you can see, there is no white highlighting.

Thanks for taking the time to monitor these forums!

using the latest one for Mac: 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

i have the same problem but i have windows and i can't make a playlist or put full albums in it or put songs on from my started or local files and not from my radio

I have exact same issue as shown in benlind's post. Nice screenshot! That is the exact problem. We have always had that functionality until this last Tuesday. We could click on any album cover and drag that entire album into a playlist, but can no longer do so. I am also running version 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad on Yosemite with a 2009 Macbook Pro 13in.

Same issue here.  This always worked up through the last time I tried las weekend.  Today it does not.

Windows 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad

I have this same issue. Really annoying.

Suggested posts