Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dragging full albums into playlists on Mac

Solved!

Dragging full albums into playlists on Mac

As of today, I am no longer able to drag an entire album into a playlist on my mac desktop app. Nor am I able to select all (Command-A on mac) to be able to drag. Currently I am only able to go to drop down menu to add album to a playlist. This is a feature I use often to create playlists. Any ideas why I am having this issue suddenly today (have never had this issue before).

39 Replies

me too! 

Same here.. Please do something about it..

I have a ton of playlists with different moods and listen to music by full albums.. Right clicking/clicking 'more' button next to save, and selecting the playlist is extremely irritaing if you have so many playlists..

Am I the only one who grows increasingly frustrated with constant functionality issues/limitations since the 'new black' desktop client appeared?? I didn't write anything about the line-width in song lists and left tab which is way too big and not scalable, I didn't write that the new colour scheme is too dark to see GUI borders of some functions with certain monitor settings, and I didn't write that star system was exchanged for ticks which you cannot immediately distinguish from crosses when looking at your playlists and albums, but drag and dropping album cover/name is just an insult to the injury, so I acted writing this complain..

Yeah, the UI has just gotten worse and worse as they go. It's freakin terrible. And the usual no communication from them as to why they are REMOVING functionality is beyond ridiculous.

I'm using version 0.9.15.27.g87efe634 on OSX 10.9.5.

Hey everyone,

Just to follow up on this - does the same issue happen when creating a brand new/blank playlist? We'll make sure this is looked into!

Hi Pete!

Yes - sort of. What you used to be able to do is drag the album title to '+ New Playlist' and it would create a playlist of that album. 

Or, you could create a new playlist first, and drag a whole album via the album name into it.

You can't do either of these any more - you can create a playlist and then drag individual songs into it, or selct a number of songs and drag them across.

It was great to be able to create playlists of whole albums so easily by dragging the album titile to new playlist 🙂 

Thanks

It's working for me again as of today! I don't know how, since Spotify didn't ask to upgrade, but maybe it can make small updates without permission. Either way, it's fixed for me.

If the fix was because of this thread, then thank you very much Spotify!

Edit: However, Cmd+A still does not work on album pages. It works in playlists. Also (and this might be better in its own thread), if I select some songs on an album page and then drag them into a playlist, the songs get deselected again in the album. Usually I like to drag songs into multiple playlists, so it is annoying to have to 1) select, 2) drag into 1st playlist, 3) reselect, and 4) drag into 2nd playlist. It would be better if it maintained your selection on the album page after dragging. The playlist views do do this correctly.

Working again yesterday morning. Had to update in the afternoon, now it doesn't work again.

it's working again for me too, without restarting the app, though it also stopped working before without restarting the app. 

it looks like another bug was partially fixed too:  if you checked tracks from an album and dragged them to a playlist, the check didn't carry over to the playlist. so you had to check them again in the playlist after adding them so they would show up in your 'songs' list under 'your music'.  the check next to the track should be sync'd in all locations of that track, whether in a playlist, album, or search result.

if you check/uncheck a track from the album page, then the corresponding track in the playlist will sync, but if you check/uncheck a track from the playlist, the corresponding track on the album will not change accordingly.  so playlist checks respond to album checks but album checks do not respond to playlist checks.  it should be sync'd both ways.

update: I also just noticed that on the album page if you hover the mouse over a track's + (add) or √ (check) icon it will give you a text pop-up 'help flag' that says "save to your music" or "remove from your music" but in the playlists these help flags do not display.

update 2: I posted a new message about this issue here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/checked-tracks-not-syncing-displaying-pr...

Everytime I try to drag a song into a playlist it freezes for like 3 minutes (and sometimes the song is still not added)

My ability to drag albums is now back! Thanks for the fix! I would suggest to those still have difficulties with this to uninstall spotify from your laptop and re-install it. That was suggestion I received from a Support email that I had sent in as well. It did not immediately fix my issue but is working now. So not entirely sure if that was the fix, but regardless, mine is now working. 

Glad to hear it's functioning as normal again for you guys!

If you're still having trouble with this, could you also just confirm the version of Spotify you have installed on your desktop/laptop?

Thanks!

It's broken again. I just updated to 0.9.15.27.g87efe634, and it broke the dragging functionality. It was working before the update for a day or two.

Again, I'm on a 2009 Macbook Pro, 13 inch, OS 10.10.1.

Marked as solution

Hey @benlind,

Can you please try to clear cache and reinstall Spotify following the steps here?

Please let us know how if it helps.

Hey, that did fix it! Thanks for the suggestion. Reinstalling Spotify isn't as annoying a process as I expected.

The dragging of full albums is fixed again, but I still can't do Cmd+A in album views to select all of the songs. Also, the select songs>drag into playlist>have to re-select bug is still there.

That's great news, @benlind .

We'll pass this information on to the right team so they can take a look. 

If anyone else is experiencing the same, please post here the version of Spotify you have installed on your desktop/laptop.

Thanks!

Yes, i'm having the same problem as benlind. dragging albums into playlists was fixed in 0.9.14.13.gba5645ad (as i confirmed in my previous posts), then after i upgraded to the newest version (ending in 634) the problem reappeared and dragging no longer works. I will try the same reinstall procedure when I have a chance & report back.

I did the reinstall procedure here: https://support.spotify.com/us/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify/ and it fixed the issue so that dragging albums now works again after the update.  However, my settings for column sorting and column width in each and every playlist (nearly 100), as well as my track History (under Play Queue) are now all reset to default.  Which files in the Application Support and/or Caches folders contain these settings? I obviously need to drag those specific files back into the newly installed folders after quitting the app in order to regain my settings.

Hey @shape5 

The files and folders within Library > Application Support > Users > *your username* folder. Specifically the file 'guistate' will include any specific changes you have made.

Let me know how you get on.

great - thank you. this did the trick to restore all the GUI settings i needed to recover.  which file stores the History log?  track-player.bnk?

Suggested posts