Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Duplicate warning not working

Duplicate warning not working

Family

Premium

UK

Device

MacBook Air 2017

macOS Catalina 10.15.3

When adding songs to a playlist today I noticed that the 'duplicate warning' message is no longer appearing and that duplicate songs are being added without being able to stop it from happening. This was working yesterday. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you.

46 Replies

Hi @sockwrite,

I suggest a clean re-install.

This usually helps fix the small glitches that can happen in the app.

Follow the steps and let me know how you go!

Regards,
BK

Find this helpful? Click the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find this thread and solve similar problems!

Hi @BellaKitty369,

Thanks very much for the advice; I'll follow the instructions and let you know how it goes. One question though – does a clean re-install delete current playlists?

Thank you.

Hi @sockwrite,

Nope, not at all! Spotify saves all your playlists to a server, so they are attached to your account, rather than your device.

Let me know how it goes! 😄

Regards,

BK

Hey there @sockwrite,

Just jumping in to the thread to let you know that you will have to download your playlists offline again after the clean reinstall.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi @BellaK396,

I've just followed the instructions for a clean re-install but the problem has not gone away I'm afraid and duplicates are still being added without warning. I don't suppose you know of anything else that can be done that might help? I'd appreciate any advice. 

Thank you.

Hi @Jeremy,

Thanks for letting me know but I'm afraid the clean re-install didn't seem to work and duplicates are still being added without warning? I don't suppose there's any advice you could give to try and solve this do you.

Thanks you.

Hey @sockwrite,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We've recently rolled out a new version of the desktop client for some of the user accounts. We're trying some new things out and that's the reason why there may be a difference in the features available. It would seem that that's why you're not seeing the duplicate warning anymore.

There is a thread in the Community, where you can share your thought and give feedback on how you feel about the new design. Check it out here. Our team is always trying to improve the user experience and any thoughts on how to make it better are more than welcome.

Hope this info is useful. We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi @Mihail,

Thank you for alerting me to that threat and I have posted about the issue there. In the meantime, does this mean there is no solution to this problem?

Thank you.

Posted about this yesterday too - it's a bug in the new experience, not a difference in features available. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Regression-No-warning-when-adding-the-same-album-songs-...

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry that this means you’re not able to use Spotify on your desktop app like you wish to do at the moment.

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help with anything else. We're always one reply away.

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi @Mihail,

The duplicate warnings problem hasn't been fixed; it's been over a week now and I was wondering whether or not you now whether it's planned to be corrected or not?

Thank you.

Hi @dgattey,

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. I'm not that tech savvy; do you know if this is something Spotify are trying to fix or are we just paying a subscription fee to something that is now quite difficult to use?

The only advice I have gotten from Spotify is that they will make sure my comments "are seen by the right people".

Thanks.

Hi @sockwrite,

Thanks for your reply.

We'd all like for the Desktop player to work as it used to. Currently the New Desktop version is being tested and a lot of aspects and functions are being fixed/reintroduced. The Desktop experience will improve in functionality over the next few updates, however we don't have an exact time frame.

Meanwhile, the Duplicate warning should still work on Mobile and the Web player. Apart from that try enabling Automatic Updates, so you'll always get the latest release of the app.

Hope you find this workaround helpful 🙂

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem and my support told me this: Currently the New Desktop experience app doesn't show the duplicate notification (Our developers are trying to make the app better).
How is you going to make the app better when you remove a feature that worked perfectly fine?

Hi @Mihail,

I wonder if you could help. I raised this issue three weeks ago and posted on the threat you sent a link to however, the problem still persists and no one has got back to me about this? Do you know if this will be acknowledged or fixed anytime soon as I'm struggling to justify paying for a product that I cannot use properly.

Thanks.

Hi @Alex,

It has a few weeks and this problem still hasn't been fixed. Do you know when this might be now happen as I'm finding it difficult to justify paying for a product I have not been able to use properly for about a month.

Thanks.

Hi @Alex,

I appreciate your suggestions but I'm afraid the duplicate warning is not working consistently on the web player and is still not working on the desktop version. I have not been able to use the platform properly for a month but am still paying for the privilege. 

Would you be able to indicate any sort of timescale for this being fixed or at least that this problem is being addressed? If not, what is the simplest way to cancel my subscription? 

Thanks.

Clearly, this is a wider Spotify problem as so many people are reporting it here.

I have been regularly saving across liked songs to playlists for years now and have always gotten the "duplicate warning".

Yet, for the first time I'm getting it today too!

It is not a song-specific issue, as it happened to me on 87 different songs today.

It's happening on Desktop for Mac (even after "clean" install), on web player in Chrome browser (as well as in incognito mode).

I don't know what information you want.

Spotify Desktop for Mac is running on macOS High Sierra v.10.13.6 on MacBook Pro (13in, 2017).

Spotify web player is running on Chrome browser for Mac Version 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64).

Moderators, thank you for your replies, but clearly you do not know the answer to this problem, so please escalate it to whoever can at Spotify.

Adding some info on this, from my experience: The notification appears in the desktop app when I add individual tracks, one at a time, to a playlist that already contains that specific song. But when I add multiple songs at a time (two songs that are already in the playlist or a mix of some that are and aren't), the warning doesn't show and it adds all of the songs without skipping the duplicates like it used to.

Very inconvenient for me, as I update dozens of my playlists over time and like to add batches of songs at a time. Really hoping this is fixed soon because it's one of a number of changes that I really don't like in the latest updates.

Suggested posts