Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Edit song info in spotify

Solved!

Edit song info in spotify

Is it not possible to edit songs anymore? I remember I used to be able to edit artists and albums, but I can't anymore... what happened to that feature? Is it possible to go to an older version of spotify to bring it back?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

SOLUTION

1. Download iTunes

2. Import the local files on iTunes

3. Change the track information (by right-clicking on the song and clicking on "Get Info")

4. Then go to Spotify - Preferences (ctrl + P)

5. Refresh the Source (the place where you have the files, by clicking on the green button, then clicking it again)

Voilà.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

They're not saying it, but it's clear they are making it harder and harder to use local files, to force you into using spotifys online library, e.g can't sync local files to phone, can't search for local files...and many more.

well that sucks... i'm just so annoyed because 2/14 songs from an album didn't sync... I'm just like how did that even happen when they came from the same file?

If you want this back, give this idea a kudo:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Restore-Option-to-Edit-Local-File-Information/idi-p/1...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I agree they should definitely be sorting this out. But in the mean time, just edit the information in itunes then drag and drop back into spotify, it automatically populates track info from there.

yeah i figured that out myself a while ago too. you don't actually have to drag and drop back in though, it automatically corrects itself once you fix it in itunes.

Marked as solution

SOLUTION

1. Download iTunes

2. Import the local files on iTunes

3. Change the track information (by right-clicking on the song and clicking on "Get Info")

4. Then go to Spotify - Preferences (ctrl + P)

5. Refresh the Source (the place where you have the files, by clicking on the green button, then clicking it again)

Voilà.

I did this, however once my local files updated, it like "autocorrected" the info on its own. Attached are two screenshots from my local files in spotify and my itunes library. It's the same audio file, however the information on spotify edited it to the title of the japanese version of the song which is available on spotify, even though the file that I have is the original korean version, which is not available.

Untitled.png
Untitled 1.png

man this happened in 2015! 

i have songs that spotify is updating THE WRONG track info for. so i can't manually edit them because Spotify wants me to use it's library... 

then get ALL of the bruce Springsteen shows then!

this is happning to me too man with some bruce Springsteen shows I have bought and downloaded. 

the problem is, I can't find the tracks. so now i have to listen to both the file I have in vlc, then match it to random version Spotify says it is.

Downloading iTunes isn't a "solution" to this problem. The only solution is for Spotify to stop being assholes about local files just because they don't make any money when we play them. They've done everything they can to make playing local files the biggest hassle possible. They'd remove the feature entirely if it wasn't something extra given to paying customers.

Not only does this not work and isn't a solution, but it requires another program Spotify doesn't even control. 

Still works for me. You gotta quit and restart spotify each time. It may not be a solution but at least it's something.

So this had worked for me in the past, and I just tried to reset the information for a single song so it would be listed alongside the rest of my music from that artist, and it deleted every single local file I had from all of my playlists and reset all of their names to the defaults, NOT what I'd had set in iTunes. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix it, and at this point it's literally impossible for me to figure out what all of the 72 local files are without playing at least half of them; even then I can't change their names in Spotify. I'm really unhappy with this. Does anyone know how to fix this now? I tried reloading the source info multiple times, I restarted the application, I even checked in iTunes to see if the files there were messed up too (they weren't). I really don't want to have to redo multiple playlists....

Yeah, this fix was from a few years ago and they have changed stuff now. I haven't found a new way around it.

I managed to get most of them back by changing the name of the containing folder on my computer, which for some reason worked. The only one I didn't have it work for was a song that had previously been identified on Spotify as a different version of the song off of a box set which isn't entirely available there.... Which is really annoying, since the album it's on is designed to be listened to continuously without interruption, and it's one of my favorites 😞 Apparently changing the metadata to something unrecognizable helps, but I really don't want to do that either. Sucks.

Suggested posts