Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Empty Playlists, No Friend Feed, Songs Disappear...

Empty Playlists, No Friend Feed, Songs Disappear...

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

MacBook Pro, mid 2016

Operating System

MacOS Mojave 10.14.3 

My Question or Issue

So basically the Spotify desktop player is completely unusable for me - and has been for 6 months or so. First, the Friend Activity feed started showing only a couple friends (and the same ones each time) until one day it showed this message on the sidebar. When I click on the Find Friends button, it brings up a window that shows that I am already following all of my Facebook friends on Spotify... but they still aren't showing up!

Then, a couple months ago, I wasn't able to play pretty much any playlist on Spotify that I didn't create myself. "Made for You" playlists either show up empty or with only five or so songs in them. Playlists made by Spotify and other users, as well as when I just try to listen to albums, won't play at least half of the songs in the playlist/album - see the bottom picture to see what happens.

I have deleted and cleared caches and wiped any trace of Spotify off my hard drive, then restarted my computer and reinstalled Spotify more times than I can count, and not a thing has changed. 

One thing that does work is when I run BOOTCAMP and use a Windows OS, the Spotify desktop player works perfectly on that drive. But I'm not going to run my Mac exclusively in a subpar Windows OS, just so that I can listen to Spotify.

I've tried to just wait this out and hope that a update would fix it, but at this point I'm just about ready to switch to Apple Music. This is infuriating!

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 2.15.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 2.50.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 2.54.08 PM.png

2 Replies

Hey there @willmccartney,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

We'd first recommend taking a look at the steps provided in this Spotify Answer, including checking your hosts files. We'd also suggest making sure that your device is up to speed with any software/firmware updates. 

If you're still having troubles, it'd be helpful if you could let us know if the issue persists when using a different account, or when using your account on a different device.

Let us know how you get on! We'll be right here if you need more help.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I've done everything recommended in that other answer, cleaned my host file, updated my computer, even made a new Spotify account, and nothing changes. Still the exact same problems as I originally posted. In fact, now it won't play any song that isn't offline dowloaded past six seconds. This means that I am practically unable to use Spotify on my computer at all. It's unacceptable.

My account works normal on other computers, and no accounts work properly on this Mac. 

Suggested posts