Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Energy impact really high

Energy impact really high

Device

Macbook Pro 15-inch, 2018

Operating System

MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

My Question or Issue

Since approximately 2 days ago, every time I open the Spotify app, my computer makes a lot of noise and when I look at the energy impact it’s always around 100 (130 at its worse), which I think is a lot compared to other programs like Chrome. I am only listening to music (with Wi-fi) and I am not downloading anything. I also tried to reinstall Spotify but it does the same thing.

I have the latest version of High Sierra (10.13.6) and of Spotify (1.1.36.734.g8731c306) so I really don’t know what causes the computer to need that much energy just for Spotify.
If someone could help I would really appreciate it.
5 Replies

Hey @FlavieCouture,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Just to confirm, do you still experience this after a thorough reinstall of the Spotify app?

Keep us posted. We'll look out for your reply!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

I just reinstalled the app on my computer and everything seemed fine until I played songs in a certain playlist that i've made. When I play the songs directly from the artist's page, the energy impact is around 7-8 but when I play them from my playlist, the energy impact goes to 100 really quickly and my computer makes a lot of noises (fans, etc.).

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you in advance

After some tests I've seen that even if I'm on the artist's page or a random playlist, there are certain songs that make my energy impact go to 100 and more while the other songs are at a more reasonable number (6-12). 

Is it a bug in my Spotify? Why do certain songs need that much energy? It makes my computer's fans go crazy.

Same here, when I play songs on certain playlists on my account, the CPU usage is around 95-110.

I factory reset my Mac this morning and the problem is still there. Definitely a CPU leak somewhere. Also, only about half of the friends I follow have their listening activity shown on my sidebar.

I am running Mojave 10.14.6, but have tested for the same issue on Catalina 10.15.5 and 10.15.6 Public Beta even. Latest version of Spotify. MacBook Air 2018.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience so far.

We created an Ongoing Issue regarding what you reported. You’ll find it here.

It’d be great if you’d add your +VOTE as well as the required info in a comment and if you’d subscribe so as to receive all the relevant updates. 

We’ll keep you posted and stay available to help with anything else as well!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts