Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Enormous amount of space used on internal SSD while external drive connected for offline storage

Enormous amount of space used on internal SSD while external drive connected for offline storage

Plan

premium

Country

usa

Device

macbook air

Operating System

El Capitan 10.11.6

My Question or Issue

Spotify is using over 20GB on my internal SSD even though I have an external drive connected and set for offline storage location.  I currently have aprox 2000 songs.  Clearing my spotify cache on the mac restored the 20GB to useful space, but when connecting my external drive I have to download all songs again.  While downloading again, I see my internal SSD filling up again.  Is there any way to resolve this problem?

2 Replies

Hey @showmx, Welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

That option only changes the location where the downloaded songs are saved to.

While you stream Spotify saves the streamed songs caches in your PC. Unfortuantely there's no way to change the location where the caches are saved but this post might help reduce it's footprint.

Hope it helps 🙂

Thanks for the reply,

I am not streaming, I am working offlline.  

Also this folder

~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs

does not exist on my mac.  I can't find for the life of me where the data is being stored.  When I run CleanMyMac I see the cache (spotify.app cache)  but it's nowhere to be found when I search

Suggested posts