Premium

Country

US

Device

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)

Operating System

MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 

My Question or Issue

After pausing a song for 2-3 minutes, resuming play will result in a "Can't play the current song." error. I have to close and re-open the app to make it work again. This happens several times a day. Turning off Hardware Acceleration as suggested in this other post didn't make a difference.

Screen Shot 2020-03-28 at 11.43.50 AM.png

Highly frustrating.

7 Replies

Hey there @CruiousMind

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

There might be various reasons why you get this error message. We suggest you first check this Spotify Answer and try the steps provided.

If this doesn't help, check this help article for more info. Make sure you go through all the steps to cover all possible scenarios.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

same problem here. really testing my patience here, have tried too many "solutions" for 0 success.
"Is It Wickedness or Is It Weakness?"

April 1st, 2020 UPDATE: The issue came back.

Hi @ivan,

I'm happy to report that doing a clean uninstall and re-installing seems to be working for me. I have not seen the error in a few days and I left a song paused overnight to test things out. I was able to resume play like expected. Thanks for the info!

For those curious, this is the article I followed to clean uninstall and re-install: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Answers/How-can-I-perform-a-clean-reinstall-of-the-app/ta-p... 

🙌🎉

Hey there @CruiousMind

Thanks for getting back to us.

Happy to hear this is now solved for you. 

Enjoy your music with Spotify! 

Hi @ivan,

I spoke too soon! The issue came back:

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 12.47.42 PM.png

My hunch is that it has to do with downloaded playlists. The issue came back after I downloaded the playlist. It didn't occur before I did that. This may be a bug on the software itself.

Hey there @CruiousMind

Sorry to hear it's back!

As far as I know, issues with downloaded music mean there's something wrong with the account or device.

In such a case it'd be a good idea to log in to your Spotify account on another device just to check if you observe the same. If it doesn't occur on a different device, we'd suggest making sure that your original device is up to speed with any software updates available.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted. 

Testing on another device is testing a different software altogether, right? In order for this to be effective, I'd need to find another laptop of the same model, with the same OS. Not sure that's feasible.

Do you know how to get in touch with Spotify? I'm a premium member, but they don't seem to take in support cases, unless I'm missing something.

Suggested posts