Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Extremely Slow Launch on Mac OS X 10.8.x

Extremely Slow Launch on Mac OS X 10.8.x

Hi Spotify team.

I open a new message as you never answer to the other same post. Maybe if we post many messages you will answer as we really are bored.

The actual problem is that it tooks much more time to launch Spotify than to launch Photoshop + Illustrator + InDesign... A shame ! It could take many minutes to launch, and during this time, the Mac is extremly slow and non usable (we are running recent iMacs with about 12 or 16Go of RAM).

We have this issue on all our Macs (10.8.x) on all our accounts (tested on 3 Spotify accounts).

It's extremly irritating as we are Premium Users since a long time and as I gave up using iTunes because it was so so slow... Now Spotify is really worst !

And as I can see on this board, there's absolutly no officiel answers.

Hey Spotify admin ? Where are you ? Can you answer to us ? Can you please fix Quickly this issue ?

If you're not able to fix it, just rollback to an old Spotify version, we all be very satisfy as the new versions of Spotify are really not very good (Searching is strange, there's some album unreachable as they exists, everything is confused, some album are not in the good artist section, some artists have albums they have not made, we can't easily drag&drop to share song as we ware able to do before, etc. Is Spotify going to be worth and worth month after month ? Should we change now for another service ??)

Thank you for :

- your answers

- your fixes

Have a good day.

31 Replies

I have the same problem on my mac, really irritating! Stop using so much god darn flash and go back to what it was before!

2 tips to begin with:

1. It's GB, not Go.
  2. Don't put a space before the punctiation - it's annoying and it annoys me 😉

Now them, welcome to the community! Posting multiple threads won't help, and the extra ones will just be deleted 🙂

Have you tried reinstalling the client? I'll see if I can get feedback from a Spotify staff member 🙂

Liam

4 answers so :

1)  Go/Gb depends on where you came from (usage speeking), I'm French and we talk in Go so that's 8 to 16Go of RAM : 

http://cl.ly/image/2l04323R2H3o

2) Typography also depends on languages, so in French there's space BEFORE double punctuation mark (eg. : ! ? 😉

3) If I said "on all our computers"... It's clearly than reinstalling is not the point. We are not on Windows by the way...

4) Opening new thread make us have an answer (a bad one : yours) but an answer, so it works.

Please don't make me loosing my time and if you answer again :

- please make this reply to be helpful (not trying to be smarter than us => failed)

- please "mind the gap" (as they said in London subway) because this time you fall in it with 2 answer points => 2 errors.

May I say "UP" in regard to our problem ? Yes, I've just did it.

Best.

I too have noticed severly slow loading time for the app. I think it was their newest release the one that changed the icon, that is to blame. Sometimes force quitting and relaunching seems to make it work normally. I'm waiting for the next update till then hope they see this and I recommend using the online player which isn't bugged.

There's the same issue on Windows, and not a word from Spotify Team... What's wrong ?? °_0

For my part, if the solution is to use the Online Player, I prefer to use GrooveShark or Deezer. I'm (was ?) fan of Spotify just because there is (was ?) a great App better and faster than iTunes and working in offline mode for mobility.

Spotify had (has ?) less choice than other services, less songs, BUT have (had ?) a great App, that's the only point that make me prefer to use Spotify than the others. If the app is not here anymore, I just have to change for another services. All my friends share the same idea... So bad.

@XD- wrote:

4 answers so :

1)  Go/Gb depends on where you came from (usage speeking), I'm French and we talk in Go so that's 8 to 16Go of RAM : 

http://cl.ly/image/2l04323R2H3o

2) Typography also depends on languages, so in French there's space BEFORE double punctuation mark (eg. : ! ? 😉

3) If I said "on all our computers"... It's clearly than reinstalling is not the point. We are not on Windows by the way...

4) Opening new thread make us have an answer (a bad one : yours) but an answer, so it works.

Please don't make me loosing my time and if you answer again :

- please make this reply to be helpful (not trying to be smarter than us => failed)

- please "mind the gap" (as they said in London subway) because this time you fall in it with 2 answer points => 2 errors.

May I say "UP" in regard to our problem ? Yes, I've just did it.

Best.

Be careful what you say, everyone is different. I wasn't wrong, I was incorrect for where you are. I was correct for where I was at least (although people where I live still do it).

Anyhow, I believe this could be a bug, so I'll see if I can get the community team to look into it for you 🙂

Liam

What's happening with the slow launch problem???

Still takes at least 3 min to launch spotify on my macbook pro and about the same on a PC with win7.

Have tried to reinstall, logging in with both FB and normal account, nothing helps!

Anyone know why this has happend and doesn't get solved?

/N

Same problem here.  It's been this way for a couple months now and I finally got frustrated enough to come post here.

Most of the app loads up fairly quickly, but then the UI in the center of the app becomes a big white block.  At this point it hangs and stays this way for a good 5-10 mins before it finally becomes responsive again.  It pinwheels the whole time.  You can't interact with the application at all.  You can't even command+tab to it.  It's terrible.  Once the content in the center of the app loads in the app becomes responsive again.  

I have two different macs and it's the same way on both.  Both of these macs are very high-end.   One is a maxed out 2012 Retina Macbook Pro with 16GB RAM, and the other is a late 2012 mac mini also maxed out with 16GB of RAM.  This also happens on a variety of internet connections all very fast cable or fiber-optic.  

I've even tried turning off the feature where it includes your itunes tracks thinking that may speed things up.  Nope.

It's unbearable and really makes me want to cancel the service.

Please take this issue seriously.  Your users are not imagining it.

Edit: I've also noticed logging into the iPhone app takes longer than it seems like it should.  It hangs for about 30-60 seconds while the "login dots" are displayed.

Hi. Have you tried reducing the cahe size down to the minimum of 1GB in the client's preferences/settings? This really speeded things up for me.

jwylot: Thanks for the suggestion, but reducing the cache size didn't help.  

However, I kept trying different things and I've got it solved.  In my case I had a few HUGE playlists by biblify.com (100,000+ tracks - they show up as 99+ in the lefthand navigation).  This is what was hanging my app up on load.  The funny thing is that I've had these playlists subscribed since day 1 and they only started causing me issues in the last couple months.  Bizzare.  

Fortunately I never really listened to those playlists so I just unsubscribed them all.  It's lightning fast now.  

So, if you're having this issue, look through your playlists for any with tons of tracks (in the thousands I'm guessing) and remove them.

Glad to hear you fixed it 🙂

For those people having this problem and don't have huge playlist with 100,000 + songs, I got a reply from spotify support. They gave me the following solution for my Mac, probably works on PC aswell, all you have to do is find the two folders.

When uninstalling Spotify, please make sure you delete the following files:
/Users/me/Library/Application Support/com.spotify
/Users/me/Library/Caches/com.spotify

Please give that a go and reinstall the application on your Mac.
It should speed up your Spotify startup and give you a much better user experience.

I had exactly the same problem. A reinstall has seemed to work for now... Now I'm just having disconnection issues

@jaycobx wrote:

I had exactly the same problem. A reinstall has seemed to work for now... Now I'm just having disconnection issues

What error codes are you getting?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

What exactly does this do? will it have any negative imapct on my computer? 

@Povvels wrote:

What exactly does this do? will it have any negative imapct on my computer? 

The reinstallation outlined above? It will just remove Spotify and its folders and then reinstall it. It won't be any damage to your computer 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Wow, that Liam guy is pretty nasty and arrogant. Almost comically so!

Spotify is very often just very slow... and it is the only application running on my Mac Book Pro with Mac OSX 10.8.5 installed.

The Friend-Feed is disabled, as this doesn't work anyways... it runs for some minutes after the restart and then it just hangs.

I set cache to 1GB.

Anything else to do?

I don't understand why I should deinstall an application and reinstall it again... What company can recommend such a Windows-like solution!! 

Suggested posts