Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Extremely Slow Launch on Mac OS X 10.8.x

Extremely Slow Launch on Mac OS X 10.8.x

Hi Spotify team.

I open a new message as you never answer to the other same post. Maybe if we post many messages you will answer as we really are bored.

The actual problem is that it tooks much more time to launch Spotify than to launch Photoshop + Illustrator + InDesign... A shame ! It could take many minutes to launch, and during this time, the Mac is extremly slow and non usable (we are running recent iMacs with about 12 or 16Go of RAM).

We have this issue on all our Macs (10.8.x) on all our accounts (tested on 3 Spotify accounts).

It's extremly irritating as we are Premium Users since a long time and as I gave up using iTunes because it was so so slow... Now Spotify is really worst !

And as I can see on this board, there's absolutly no officiel answers.

Hey Spotify admin ? Where are you ? Can you answer to us ? Can you please fix Quickly this issue ?

If you're not able to fix it, just rollback to an old Spotify version, we all be very satisfy as the new versions of Spotify are really not very good (Searching is strange, there's some album unreachable as they exists, everything is confused, some album are not in the good artist section, some artists have albums they have not made, we can't easily drag&drop to share song as we ware able to do before, etc. Is Spotify going to be worth and worth month after month ? Should we change now for another service ??)

Thank you for :

- your answers

- your fixes

Have a good day.

31 Replies

I have found this solution for Windows. I applied its on my MacBook Pro ! 

It's faster !! Try it maybe....

Original message from : gnarlyhat

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-slow-to-start-up-Solved-Windows-...

>>Like many of you I've noticed Spotify can take a very long time to start up as of late.  On a hunch I took a look at where it was trying to pull local sources from.  Sure enough my downloads folder was one of the options.

Here's the thing.  Windows 7 has a bug when refreshing the Downloads folder contents, depending on how you access it.  For example, if I open My Documents and click on Downloads it takes a very long time.  Sometimes a minute or more.  However, if I access the exact same folder, but go through several folder clicks (C:, Users, Me, Downloads) it is instantaneous.  Like it should be.  So I unselected it in Preferences and fired Spotify back up.  It opened in 2 seconds.  Score.

TL:DR

Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"

Way to go. Start your response with nit picky correstions and then, when you finally start your "response" you mispell your second word. What a turd.

@Miragedub wrote:

I have found this solution for Windows. I applied its on my MacBook Pro ! 

It's faster !! Try it maybe....

Original message from : @gnarlyhat

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Spotify-slow-to-start-up-Solved-Windows-...

>>Like many of you I've noticed Spotify can take a very long time to start up as of late.  On a hunch I took a look at where it was trying to pull local sources from.  Sure enough my downloads folder was one of the options.

Here's the thing.  Windows 7 has a bug when refreshing the Downloads folder contents, depending on how you access it.  For example, if I open My Documents and click on Downloads it takes a very long time.  Sometimes a minute or more.  However, if I access the exact same folder, but go through several folder clicks (C:, Users, Me, Downloads) it is instantaneous.  Like it should be.  So I unselected it in Preferences and fired Spotify back up.  It opened in 2 seconds.  Score.

TL:DR

Edit, Preferences, Local Files, Uncheck "Downloads"

This helped me too. I am also on a Mac. Thank you very much:)

Miragedub - thank you, worked a treat on my mac, thank you for staying on thread!

2 tips to begin with:

1. It's "punctuation", not "punctiation".

2, Don't use dashes instead of commas, it's annoying and it annoys me 😉

Thanks for your three corrections, but you wrote a reply with no piece of advice to solve the problem.

An international non english native speaking user, just as the vast majority of spotify users.

Santi

This solved my issue on Mac Mini as well. Thanks very much!! 

Same here, ever since I upgraded to the Sierra OS Spotify has just gone to shiiiiiiitttt.

I'm thinking of cancelling my account as it's unuseable, if I search for an artist it can take 5 minutes for anything to come up. FIVE MINUTES, like you say in that time my entire creative suite has booted up and is working. It's a joke really

in fact the only way to get spotify on my mac to work is use my phone to browse then play music from there, even then it doesn't always work

yes, but hasnt changed speeds at all

I think that this solution doesn’t work anymore.
Sorry guys !

I've reinstalled Spotify on my Mac 4 times.  It always works, for a week or so, then I have to reinstall it again.  Very irritating for a pay service!!!

... following.  Couldn't agree more.  Works great on my iphone, but what an awful app it is on the Mac.

Suggested posts