Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Filter is back in Albums view! But it doesn't quite work right.

Filter is back in Albums view! But it doesn't quite work right.

Thank you for finally adding a filter function to the Albums view. This is a looonnnng overdue feature. I'm glad to see that it's there and that it filters the grid of albums as you type.

One problem:

It only filters on the album title. If I type "Radiohead" it doesn't filter to show me all the Radiohead albums I have saved, instead it tries to look for albums that are titled "Radiohead". 

The artist name is right there under the album name, it's present in the model, this should be a 1-line code change. It should be able to filter by the artist name!

Come on guys we're almost there.

4 Replies

Hey @TylerHealey

Unfortunately this is expected behavior for the filter in the desktop app. Your feedback has been passed on.

If you go into the Spotify mobile app (iOS, Android) and use the filter in the albums section, it does search through not only album title, but artist as well. You can use this as a workaround in the meantime. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

So it's expected to work incorrectly or at best inadequately?

I don't really understand why the iOS app works better than the desktop app. I could understand if this was an esoteric or difficult to implement feature, or if text based filtering were new and didn't already have an understood and expected behaviour. The principle of it is really simple: if there is text that is part of that data, and it is visible on the screen, then a text based filter should consider that visible text while filtering. 

Filtering on album title alone is not that useful and the correct implementation is simple and very close to the current implementation. It shouldn't be difficult to add the missing functionality.

Note: I am just a community volunteer, the following is not the opinion of Spotify

The ability to filter/search the albums section of the desktop app was just recently added a few updates ago. I think the devs might have overlooked this and hopefully they will improve it in a future update. I don't think they left this out on purpose just to have an inconsistency. 

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Still doesn't work eh.. Please fix this! So annoying to not being able to filter by artist name

Suggested posts