Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Gap suddenly appear between songs.

Gap suddenly appear between songs.

So, on two different devices of mine (a mac and a windows 10 computer) I had an incident where suddenly two songs were separated with a gap where they previously weren't. This gap persisted when I shut of Spotify and restarted it. Other songs that didn't have gaps were not affected. For both computers I needed to clean the cache to solve it. The songs that were separated were different songs on the mac and on the windows 10 computer.

14 Replies

Hey @merijn2,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting this behavior to us.

We're happy that this got resolved, it would seem that there was a caching issue with the app om your devices. Such issues are indeed usually resolved by performing a clean reinstall.

If this behavior does come back, could you make sure that the option Gapless playback is enabled in the setting menu of the app? You should also make sure that the app is excluded from your firewall and network restrictions.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It just happened again, this time again between two totally different songs (Wish you were here and Shine on you crazy diamond)

Hey there @merijn2,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

In this case and to avoid this to keep happening, we recommend following the suggestions that @Mihail posted above.

You can find the steps to run a clean reinstall here. This is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Also, you can find the Gapless option within the app's Settings. You can also enable the Crossfade feature.

It's also a good idea to restart your router by unplugging it from power for at least 15 seconds, then plugging it back in.

If the issue persists, could you send us the URI of the affected songs so we can further look into it?

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

So, did a clean install, and it happened again a day later. Cleaned my cache and it was solved. It happened between the song Kid A and The National Anthem on Kid A. spotify:track:3QDahKSqLwYJYQRbILdzS6 and spotify:track:4Wgj6jzoI2gYlumXdYAB8U

Hi there @merijn2,

Thanks for the info.

Can you let us know if this happens with other songs as well or just these two consecutive songs in the album?

Cheers.

AlexModerator

It has happened with other songs in the past. Obviously always two consecutive songs. Every time it happens I close the app and delete the cache.

Hi there @merijn2,

Thanks for the info.

Try disabling Gapless playback  and Crossfade Songs altogether on your apps. After that log out and log back in and re-enable those.

Let us know if there are still gaps in between songs after this.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

I can't find the gapless playback function now. Where is it?

Here are the screenshots of my settings. What I previously thought was gapless playback was only for playlists.

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.30.29.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.32.11.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.32.29.png

Screenshots part 2

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.32.49.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.32.57.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.33.07.png

screenshots part 3

Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.33.15.png
Schermafbeelding 2020-12-31 om 19.33.25.png

Hey @merijn2,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Just to clarify, the Gapless option is only available in the mobile app. In the desktop app, try enabling the Crossfade songs option after logging out and logging back in and let us know if there are still gaps between the songs.

You can find more info about this in this support article.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

I have done this, but the issue remains. It happens now on a daily basis.

Hey there @merijn2,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

It would also be great if you can try with another internet connection.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts