Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Have to reinstall every time i close the app

Solved!

Have to reinstall every time i close the app

I'm running high sierra (10.13.6).  I frequently close all of my applications just to save on memory, etc.  However, whenever i close spotify and subsequently try to re-open it, spotlight search cant find it and the only item with a matching name is the spotify installer, so i effectively have to reinstall the app every time i want to open it.

In fact, even when I have the app open and do a search for spotify, either in spotlight or in finder, it doesn't show up in the results:

Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 4.15.24 PM.png

Is there any way to stop this from happening?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @lunface, Welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

It seems like your Spotlight needs a reindx, you can use this support article from Apple on how to perform it.

I'd also recommend updating to macOS Moajve 10.14.2.

Hope it helps 🙂

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @lunface, Welcome to the Community.

Hope you're doing great!

It seems like your Spotlight needs a reindx, you can use this support article from Apple on how to perform it.

I'd also recommend updating to macOS Moajve 10.14.2.

Hope it helps 🙂

finally found time to try this and it worked. thanks!

How about on PC, Windows 10? I've had this problem for going on a year now and have yet to find a fix.

Hey there @lunface and @Basilbaci,

@lunface  - thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry about the delayed reply, We just came across this thread.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue to assist you if you need us to.. We're always one reply away.

Take care

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

I did a clean install. I'm still having to reinstall the desktop app every time I want to use it, I gave it a day to test it out and make sure, but my problem is slightly different than Lunface's--I can find the icon on my taskbar and click on it, and spotify will act as though it's opening, but nothing ever loads. On the rare occasion that it does load, I can't search for anything, and none of my playlists or even the home page tends to come up. It's just blank. The only thing that has made it work so far is reinstallation, even after a clean reinstall. I know it isn't a network issue because connectivity is solid everywhere else (discord, chrome, steam, etc.), and I've done a hard reset on my modem just to be sure. Do I need to move this to a different thread?

Thank you in advance.

Hey there @Basilbaci

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you check if you have entries containing Spotify in your host files and delete those?

You can follow this Solution for instructions.

On another note, would you mind checking if it's working on the web player?

Keep us posted 🙂 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This solution is for MacOS. Is there a Windows 10 equivalent?

Hey @Basilbaci,

We're sorry for the confusion. 

You can find the steps for Windows here

We'll be waiting for your reply!

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Suggested posts