Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

High energy impact

High energy impact

I see that my idling Desktop Mac Spotify uses around 7%CPU and the energy impact is around 30. This is a higher energy impact than Chrome with many windows and tabs open!

Is that normal? What can be done about it?

14 Replies

Hey @jakot,

Welcome to the Community 🎉

The CPU looks a little higher than usual, but this tends to vary, however, the energy impact seems far too high. High you tried a reinstall of Spotify? 

Let me know if that helps 😊

Hello,

Sorry for the inconvenience, may I ask, if it's possible to set English as main language on the webplayer( browser)?

Many thanks.

Hey @Samuel-87,

If you could create your own thread that would be great - just to avoid any confusion 😊

Hi Tom,

yes, I tried to reinstall recently because of another problem: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Re-Broken-proxy-settings-can-t-log-in-via-Facebook/m-p/...

Is there a way to get the attention of Spotify's developers? The proxy problem seems long standing and ignored. 

I must say I also dislike Spotify's UX (convoluted, difficult to find stuff, unituitive navigation, etc.) and I'm wondering if someone's looking into it and whether a major overhaul of the app is planned because, IMO, it could use it 🙂

Hey @jakot,

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to the UX, I suggest you take a look at the Community Ideas - you can share your idea there for consideration from Spotify.

I'll escalate this post and see what the right folks say, I'll get back to you as soon as I get a response 😊

Before I do this, could you provide me with the following:

• The exact model of your device
  • MacOS Version, 10.X.X
  • Spotify Version

Thanks!

Thank you, see below:

• The exact model of your device: MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
    • 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

• 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

• APPLE SSD SM0512G Media

• Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

• MacOS Version: 10.13.3 (17D102)
  • Spotify Version: 1.0.75.483.g7ff4a0dc

I update regularly as I see the update notifications. If it's not the latest version, I would welcome instructions how to permanently fix the Proxy problems, at the moment Spotify desktop is still offline.

Thaks @jakot,

I've sent this off and I will get back to you as soon as I get an update 😊

Hey @jakot,

Did this start happening after an update? How long has it been happening for?

Also, have you got the option for hardware acceleration enabled or disabled?

I don't see any option for hardware acceleration (in settings/advanced settings).

I've noticed it in the last couple of weeks / a month.

Btw, what about the proxy? Is that problem just universally ignored?

Hey @jakot,

So sorry for the late reply!

With the Energy Impact, what are you using Spotify for when you see this? Are you just streaming music, downloading playlists? If you could let me know that would be great 😊

As for the proxy issue, it looks like you have it set to HTTP, if you try setting that to Auto Detect to see if that makes a difference 😊

Let me know,

Tom 💚

Like I said, Spotify was just idling at that time - no streaming music. I'm not sure about downloading songs, I haven't checked that. Is there a way to check other than going through my playlists and trying to notice changing icons?

Proxy - autodetect has never worked (like I said and like other users complain). I checked just now to be sure and it really still does not work. Moreover, at the moment I can't fix it even by editing the prefs file. Very annoying, very persistent

Hey @jakot,

Thanks for letting us know! 

It looks like a new version of Spotify has been released since the start of this thread. How're you getting on with this update?

Could you give us a bit more info about your proxy issue too? We'll see what we can suggest. 

Thanks!

Hi @ChrisC, (how do I do proper @mentions here?!)

I haven't noticed the energy issue anymore.

I've described the proxy issue in detail here: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Re-Broken-proxy-settings-can-t-log-in-via-Facebook/m-p/...

let me know what more you need to know. I might even go and have a look at the network packets but I'd appreciate if someone knowledgeable could give some attention to my description of the proxy issue first.

Thanks a lot!

Trust me you're not the only one, someone at Spotify engineering thought it'd be a great idea to implement the frontend in Javascript i'm unsure which frontend library they're using, but i can only assume ReactJS since Spotify Open is written in that.

So Spotify these days is a webbrowser playing music + some extras for DRM and such (decryption of music streams etc..).

What to me seems to be the problem is that Spotify is constantly rerendering the UI while it's open, which consumes CPU and GPU power.

The "solution" is that you use command+w to close the window once you're done navigating, then it'll consume much less power.

@Spotify: It'd be really great if you guys could impose some kind of FPS limit on the rendering (like once a second) when the UI isn't the focused window.

Suggested posts