Horrible update [0.8.8]

Solved!

Re: Horrible update [0.8.8]

Garage Band
‎2013-03-11 08:24 AM

PrinceWatercres wrote:

milaszewski wrote:
Here is the bug report I posted about sound quality problems in 0.8.8: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/bug-report-high-quality-streaming-not-wor...

Of all the things they could possibly screw up, why this? Why?!?

This is the most serious bug in this release, for sure.

Roadie
‎2013-03-11 01:08 PM

Well after a week of holding back these updates after 8.8 made its ugly and dysfunctional appearance, for some reason it's not working anymore.

I'm considering unsubscribing for the time being and listening to my own tunes for a while. Though, boycotting Spotify until they revert back may be too much of an extreme..

Concert VIP
‎2013-03-11 01:21 PM

These people are hopeless. Here's another email I received after writing back - I'll post the whole lot so you can see it all.

me:

Dear Spotify
I just wanted to draw your attention to the large amount of dissatisfaction about the new update. Please take a look at this thread [link to this thread].
As a paying customer, I don’t like to feel ripped off. I have started looking into alternatives to Spotify and will cancel my subscription when I find one. That’s not easy for me to do as I love using Spotify when it works.
Please show some acknowledgement that you are listening to your customers.
Thanks
Spotify:
Thanks for getting in touch.
The changes we made to Spotify were essential for the development of the
product. We never make changes to Spotify unless totally necessary and/or to
make things better in the long run.
I appreciate you may not like it not however it may grow on you.
Thanks for your understanding!
me:
Dear Spotify
I think you misunderstand. I am not complaining merely because I don't like
the new look or any such thing. My point, and the concerns of many others,
are to do with reduced functionality, This means that somebody on your
design team has sat down and decided to remove certain features. Why? As
mentioned in my original email, there is a long list of ways in which the
new version is worse on the forum.
Thanks for listening
Spotify:
Thanks for your feedback on Spotify.
We're always looking to improve Spotify with bigger and better features so we do listen to all of the ideas we get. Sadly, we can't get round to adding them all but we do our best to act on the most popular requests.
And since we opened up Spotify Apps to third party developers there should be lots more features coming in soon that we're sure people are going to love.

Yeah I'm also looking forward to the "lots more features" which the app developers can hopefully reinstate after they've been taken away.

Garage Band
‎2013-03-11 02:51 PM

Maybe that's why it all seems to be going down the drain - all their best programmers are busy elsewhere, desperately trying to improve the artificial intelligence in the program they use for automatically replying to mails.

Concert Regular
‎2013-03-12 03:48 AM

This update is bad i regerted updating imdiatly my number 1 complaint is the removal of the peopl list and replacing it with an activity list, I dont care what people are listening to at any given moment of the day and if i did i would click on them and look at there profile. what i do care about is anice neat  alphbetical list of my firends so i can find them look at there profiles or share music with them. Give me back the people list now!

Concert Regular
‎2013-03-12 03:49 AM

This update is bad I regretted updating immediately my number 1 complaint is the removal of the people list and replacing it with an activity list, I don't care what people are listening to at any given moment of the day and if I did I would click on them and look at there profile. What I do care about is nice neat  alphabetical list of my friends so I can find them look at there profiles or share music with them. Give me back the people list now!

Concert Regular
‎2013-03-12 07:02 AM

anyone have steps to roll back to 8.5 on a mac? Tried time machine.... the results were subpar at best and the app still auto updated :/

Highlighted

Block Update on Mac OSX

Edited
Music Fan
‎2013-03-12 07:28 AM

Hi Guys,

you can do the same trick from Windows on a Mac OSX to block Spotify from Updating.

You just need to do following steps:

1. Make sure you don't have the new version installed
  2. If you have 0.8.5 installed, go to your ~/Library/-Folder within your user folder
    (if you can't see it in Finder, enter "open ~/Library/" in Terminal)
  3. Navigate to: /Users/[YourUsername]/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  4. There you need to create 2 Files with read-only permissions:
    Spotify_new.archive
    Spotify_new.archive.sig
    (If the files already exist because Spotify downloaded them previously, just delete them before creating your own files.)

And you're done! You should now be a happy 0.8.5 User :-)

Cheers

Thomas

Gig Goer
‎2013-03-12 07:37 AM

Completely agree - this change made no sense at all.

I liked to just drag tracks to people in the sidebar list - much easier way of sending music.

Re: Horrible update

Bedroom Songwriter
‎2013-03-12 08:17 AM

Completely crap update!

The newest Spotify version crashes on macs 10.5.8 and forces owners to swap OS. No amount of reinstall works after reboot. 

Forcing paying customers to change their OS? Seriously? 

SUGGESTED POSTS