Country

UK

Device

MacBook

Operating System

macOS

My Question or Issue

Hi,

Even though I have a paid account, I keep getting podcast recommendations which I'm not interested in.

There is no option to disable this as far as I can see.

The "Your top shows" section is now at the top of my home screen. This is just a shameless ad campaign to push podcasts on users.

Since I'm a paying user, I'd like the option to tailor the home screen to what's relevant to me, not to Spotify's bottom line.

Where can I find the option to disable podcast recommendations, or to customize my home screen?

Thanks.

Top Answer
Mihail
Spotify Legend

Hey @alex_muscar,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Currently the app doesn't support the feature to customize the start screen. It seems however that other Spotify users also mentioned they'd like to see in this feature introduced and posted an idea. You can add your support there by up-voting the idea. We'll inform on any developments there, if there are any. So make sure to subscribe, if you haven’t already. 

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

68 Replies

a few years later and nothing happened in this regard. I still need to scroll by those idiotic recommendations every day. And even more annoying is omnipresent the Joe Rogan show.

seems to me there's a product decision to not implement this, so probably it's time to move to another music service, Spotify is just getting ridiculous

I just got Spotify Premium and trying to find stop these getting podcast recommendations, I ended here just to see that you can't, oh well I stopped my current sub, I come back when I can least hide these. 

Why? I don't listen podcast ever 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm looking for alternatives. I do want to leave Spotify.
I did list to a music service, not for online radio or podcasts.

Already tried Tidal, unfortunately, the lack a lot of features I really use in Spotify.

Apple is a no-go for me.

So what is left?

Deezer?

This is so so so so frustrating. I pay for the service and I don't want to see these things:

• Shows to try: I've never seen any show and I don't want any recommendation of podcasts in my music app at the beginning of my home. Just like you have "Show announcements about new releases" as a flag in Preferences, you also should have "Show 'Shows to try'" as an option.
  • Recommendations of any kind based on who you think I am, instead of just based in what I explicitly say I like to listen. I honestly believe you are making a huge mistake in that department. I have read pages and pages with hundreds of critics from people offended by what you put as suggestions in their users home. What you do to me is what other users have complained already: you recommend to me reggaeton songs, or chilean popular songs just because I live in Chile. I hate with my guts reggaeton music. I never ever have listened to nothing alike. Why in heaven do you have to assume that I like that music and keep recommending that in my profile home? It really offends me.

You tell us to support this idea from 4 years ago. But when I arrived there, the response from Spotify is "Not Right Now". I feel too frustrated.

From this moment I will just keep using and recommending Apple Music and Idagio until the day you start really listening to your users.

I'm just here to chime in that we need the functionality to customize our Spotify home page.

70% of my recommendations are pods, and I have zero interest in any podcast.

I'm currently using the trial version of Deezer and I'm really excited about it. You get music in HiFi quality and see podcasts only when you want it. The "FLOW" function is also really great! If Spotify can not soon hide the podcasts, I will switch.

Spotify has other problems that have not been solved for years: No support for Apple's HomePods, no AirPlay2, very poor quality music (all the other providers have managed it too)...but the worst are those crappy podcasts.

I have already stopped paying Spotify and will probably switch to Deezer completely. There you get exactly what you pay for: music in good quality.

I already switched to Tidal and I'm happier than ever.

You open up the app/client and what you get is a page full of advertisements. This is unnacceptable in a paid subscription service. Your greed and blatant ignorance of user feedback are disgusting.

I'm now going to stop my premium subscription. I'm sick of having spotify add songs that I hate to my daily playlists (even when I have previously "hidden" them). I'm sick of having stupid podcasts on my homescreen and not having the option to hide them. The application keeps getting worse and worse year after year, both on PC and android. Get your stuff stogether spotify... There is so much wrong with your software...

WHY AM I STILL SEEING ADS ON PREMIUM?!?!?!?!

Screenshot_20220325-105001-996.png

For me personally, the situation has improved.

Unwanted podcast recommendations are no longer dominating my Spotify home page.

Edit: I take that back, today my Home page is once again dominated (~70%) by unwanted podcast recommendations.

That's what I did (switched to YouTube Music). Now, many months later I opened Spotify and Joe Rogan is STILL at the top of my Home Screen along with all these super obnoxious podcasts that I've never heard of. 

It feels like a personal insult when you tell me I might like Joe Rogan or bill Maher. I do not like either of them. Not at all. Yet I still have to see their faces whenever I fire up my PAID music service. Thank you. 

It's mid 2022, since this is still not resolved I'm cancelling at the end of my trial and going to YouTube music. 

Just stop putting Jordan Peterson’s podcast on my home screen JFC. Is that too much to ask?

what the **bleep** is this holier than thou corporate bougie trash its pushing and who is it even for **bleep** i meanunknown
+ jre and all the "true **bleep** is bad enough

I’ve had a subscription for 7+ years and you(Spotify) are putting it in serious jeopardy by pushing podcasts. I don’t like Apple Music, but I will switch over this. Imagine every time you put in a CD first having to hear other stuff the recoding label wants you to know about? It would be BS, wouldn’t it? Same goes for this. Online steaming is about choice on demand, not forced unwanted content. You are on notice, FIX THIS!

This is actually much less of an issue for me now than it used to be. Not sure if Spotify tweaked their algorithm (if so, thanks 🙏). 

It would appear that you're far from alone is wanting this unasked for insertion onto our lists. It takes forever to remove them individually as we must do!!!!! NO HELP Whatsoever from Spotify!!!!!

Suggested posts