Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I stop the Spotify Mac OS desktop client from being automatically updated?

How can I stop the Spotify Mac OS desktop client from being automatically updated?

Every single bit of advanced functionality is being removed and soon we're left with a play button and Spotify playlists. The last one removed was advanced search. 

I constantly roll back to version 1.0.65 which not only has search but also release date for all releases (rather than release year only). But it's being overwritten by the latest update no matter what. How can I stop the Spotify Mac OS desktop client from being automatically updated?

4 Replies

Hi @Brian! 🙂
I don't think this is something you can disable since I also have this happen. It seems any time I reboot the desktop app - whether or not I reboot the computer - it automatically refreshes to the current version. I tend to leave my system in sleep mode so I don't have to revert too often, but at some point I end up having to backtrack in time machine. I've messed with all the settings I can think of, but can't find anything that solves it.

Hey again @Brian ! 🙂

I didn't have a chance to test it at the time when I replied (my apologies as I was on a PC), but I found a setting within Mac OS and not Spotify that seems to prevent this.
Downside is it affects all apps from auto updating, but if that is not a problem than it might work for you!
The steps I took are below:

1. Uncheck the box for install app updates (System Preferences> App Store)

2. Shutdown Spotify app in activity monitor
3. Restore Spotify app to desired version via Time Machine 
4. Restarted Spotify 3-4 times (via step 2) and each reboot kept it at my desired version.

Hopefully that can help you too if your settings were the same as mine. *Fingers Crossed* 🙂

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.24.16 PM.png

I found a setting within Mac OS and not Spotify that seems to prevent this.

This only disables updates for apps in the macOS App Store. Spotify is not on the macOS App Store, therefore this setting does not apply to it.

Thanks Bethany_03 and noahspotify for your efforts and info. Hopefully someone might come up with a solution similar to what we used to do previously to prevent the app from updating.

Did anyone by chance try the advanced search on a previous version? Just curious to see if it's removed on the server side or client side.

Suggested posts