Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I delete offline synced songs?

Solved!

How do I delete offline synced songs?

I'm sure this has been asked alot, but is there a way to delete the "cache" of offline music synced to my mac? I know there is no way to delete the music on my iphone except to reinstall the app. But I'm wondering if theres a way to delete the downloaded offline music synced onto my computer without completly doing a clean reinstall.

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It should disappear after a short while, it won't be deleted straight away just incase you unmarked it by accident. You can manually clean your cache by viewing its location in the preferences menu and deleting those files (but that will remove all of your offline content). 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

15 Replies

I have the same question. I synchronise one playlist for the off-line mode who take a lot of GB and i want to delete it? Is it possible?

Marked as solution

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

It should disappear after a short while, it won't be deleted straight away just incase you unmarked it by accident. You can manually clean your cache by viewing its location in the preferences menu and deleting those files (but that will remove all of your offline content). 

Peter

Peter

Thanks a tone Peter!!! 🙂

Here's a new wrinkle.... How do you do this AFTER cancelling Premium?  Now that I've cancelled Premium, I can't toggle my offline songs to not be available offline.  I also exited spotify, deleted my cache and the offline.bnk file, then emptied the trash on my Mac.  But when I restart Spotify, it re-downloads all the files I just deleted.

Any suggestions?  I think Spotify will have to toggle all my offline files on their end.....

@Lively-or-Not wrote:

Here's a new wrinkle.... How do you do this AFTER cancelling Premium?  Now that I've cancelled Premium, I can't toggle my offline songs to not be available offline.  I also exited spotify, deleted my cache and the offline.bnk file, then emptied the trash on my Mac.  But when I restart Spotify, it re-downloads all the files I just deleted.

Any suggestions?  I think Spotify will have to toggle all my offline files on their end.....

The client shouldn't be able to download content if you aren't on premium. 

How do you know it is redownloading the playlists? 

Peter

Peter

Because I leave the finder window open when I start Spotify and watch the files reappear.  I check the size of the folder, and it's back at 8GB just like before I deleted the files.

Very strange! 

Luckily the community team will be able to force that behaviour out for you. If you drop a post onto this topic asking for your offline devices to be reset that will blitz your account and remove all of your offline content licenses. 

Peter

Peter

OK, scratch that.  I checked the folder again, and it seems to be back to 13 MB now.  Since I abandoned Premium in the last 24 hours, I guess it took a couple restarts of Spotify before everything got sorted.  I was just a little impatient, I suppose!

It's no longer possible to delete songs from iPhone in iOS7. To remove music:
1) Find a PC/Mac
2) Install iTunes if it is not installed
3) Connect your device
4) Tell your device to trust the computer if it asks
5) Switch over to the device view
6) Browse to your music on the device
7) Delete it
Getting music off isn't as easy as putting it on but the swipe gesture now goes back in menus on which you can get a new interface of iPhone Data Eraser.

If you didn't have the songs on the iPhone before you updated but you purchased it, there is a feature enabled by default that shows all music. To turn it off go to settings/music/show all music-off so that you can delete songs from iPhone. Otherwise, to delete music, swipe from right to left over what you want to delete.

Read more about iPhone Data Eraser here.

Actually, Apple had somehow removed a feature called “Duplicate Files or Items” from iTunes 11 that could find duplicate songs, videos and all kind of contents related to iTunes from your computer and allows you to delete them forever. It was too difficult to find out duplicate content and delete them without finding them. 

Step by step guide: How to delete songs on iPhone

I've also found a guide about "how to delete songs from iPhone".

Hi, 

so there are two/three types of downloaded songs as far as I've observed: 

1) Song is offline because you added it to "songs" (the + button)
2) Song is offline because it was in a folder you downloaded
3) Now comes the tricky part. Of course you can delete songs from option 1) by clicking the + button again.

But it is impossible to download specific songs without the whole folder and without putting it into "songs" ("+" button). But even if you do so; moving the song from the "song" folder to another one, how does one delete the offline modus of a song in a playlist that isn't completely avaialbe offline (thus you can't simiply click on the button) without deleting the song? 

There should be a way to see if a song is downloaded or nah and change that fact individually for specific songs.

Spotify has been improving, but they haven't been working on this point for 9 years now (as I could see in various forums this question has been here for ages) nor do they seem to be willing to work on it at all in the near future which, I think, is ridiculous.

Thanks, 

Yuuko

What if I don't want to delete them but just want to "un-download" them so they're in my library but not available offline. I tried two weeks ago but they're all still available offline and impeding my ability to have new music available offline.

Hello. 

After you uncheck the "download button", downloaded songs will stay cached to your phone. As you can't clear app cache manually on iPhone, you can download app "Magic Phone Cleaner" photo in attachment. After you download the app, press the button "clear cache" and it will start to work its magic. After it's done you it will say: "cleared __ MB". You might have to repeat the process couple of times because it'll delete the system cache first, and in the 2nd/3rd shot spotify cache. You are done when spotify memory is around 100-300MB.

All your playlists and user data will remain untouched, but it will free up your phone space. 

The only other method so far is to reinstall the app, but if you can't/don't want to do it, the method with magic cleaner app is great for you. 

Hope this helps,

Guido 

IMG_0023.PNG

Suggested posts