Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How do I remove songs from my Local Files in the new Spotify app?

Solved!

How do I remove songs from my Local Files in the new Spotify app?

How the ever-living **bleep** **bleep** do I remove songs from my Local Files in the new Spotify app?

I was rearranging my files for a bit, and Spotify seems to have been unable to keep up, because even though i only have one of each song on my hard drive, Spotify lists each mp3 multiple times under my Local Files. I have tried turning off the directories under preferences, I have tried restarting my computer, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Spotify several times, but I still have at least 3 copies of all songs under my Local Files — and I can listen to none of them.

On my older Macbook, which has an older version of Spotify on it, I can remove files by simply deleting them in Spotify, but on my new mac (OS Sierra) I can’t remove files?! (And looking at my Local Files, I don’t even have the option to ”Show in finder”. What??)

I have tried looking up older solutions, but even when showing hidden folders there’s no Spotify folder in the ~/Library/Application Support/ directory, so there’s no ”watch-sources.bnk” file for me to delete, and there’s no ”com.spotify.Client” for me to delete from my Chache folder either.

Please —for the love of god— help me get rid of all these useless ghost files!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well after searching and searching I have finally found a way (without any useful posts from spotify reps) to remove the local file list.  See the bottom of the post for a specific solution.

For my specific problem, I have about ~3,000 music files I've amassed in the last 15 years.  While it was useful to add them to spotify, the drive they are on is having problems and running slow, so I am no longer using it until it is replaced.
Spotify on PC prefers to play local files, even if the local file isn't available.  So in my case, my local files list had about 3000 songs I could not play without the external hard drive being plugged in.

Reinstalling Spotify did nothing.  As a result I learned after doing the process a couple of times that Spotify leaves behind a ton of content, including the actual program, services, and all of your account and preference files!  This is where the true core to the problem lies.

The solution

*Before Starting* Adjust any local file preferences you wish to make and then ensure spotify is completely closed.

Navigate to: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\YourUserFolder

There is a file named: "local-files.bnk"

If you wish to clear your local files list within spotify, delete the file "local-files.bnk"

Launch Spotify

Your local file list should be cleared / updating

Hope this helps someone struggling to find the answer!

Edit: Typo

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Removing those system files you mentioned doesn't work anyway, so here's another vote for this 'feature' - I would like to see a mass-delete button for local files as well.

This 'do first, ask permission later' catch is a contagion that spreads your life all over where you don't want it. It's not only Spotify, a lot of software and web programmers no longer seem to understand what should be options and/or defaults.

Marked as solution

Well after searching and searching I have finally found a way (without any useful posts from spotify reps) to remove the local file list.  See the bottom of the post for a specific solution.

For my specific problem, I have about ~3,000 music files I've amassed in the last 15 years.  While it was useful to add them to spotify, the drive they are on is having problems and running slow, so I am no longer using it until it is replaced.
Spotify on PC prefers to play local files, even if the local file isn't available.  So in my case, my local files list had about 3000 songs I could not play without the external hard drive being plugged in.

Reinstalling Spotify did nothing.  As a result I learned after doing the process a couple of times that Spotify leaves behind a ton of content, including the actual program, services, and all of your account and preference files!  This is where the true core to the problem lies.

The solution

*Before Starting* Adjust any local file preferences you wish to make and then ensure spotify is completely closed.

If you wish to clear your local files list within spotify, delete the file "local-files.bnk"

Launch Spotify

Edit: Typo

@RnGG wrote:

Reinstalling Spotify did nothing.  As a result I learned after doing the process a couple of times that Spotify leaves being a ton of content, including the actual program, services, and all of your account and preference files!  This is where the true core to the problem lies.

The solution

Launch Spotify

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

RnGG, thanks. For me, it was also necessary to restart the computer.

My problem was that I have many LP's (ancient music storage form, millenials just google it...) that I had made into .mp3 files, and their hifi quality was not very good, cracks and everything imported...

Hi, I am also struggling to get rid of my local files within Spotify on a Mac with High-Sierra. There is no such thing on an Mac like "

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\Users\YourUserFolder

There is a file named: "local-files.bnk" So I think this is a Windows solution. How did you manage to get rid of you imported files that became local files in Spotify?

Suggested posts