Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How many of the recommendations in Discovery section are in fact advertising?

How many of the recommendations in Discovery section are in fact advertising?

Hi,

I'm on a paid Spotify subscription for almost a year now. And every day - and I mean every single day - when I'm opening the desktop app, in the Discovery section, among other random recommendations, there is a message that one of my friends is listening to John Legend.
Every day since February 2013...

Now I know for a fact that my friend doesn't give a *&^% about John Legend, he listened to his music once, maybe twice on Spotify. But that's it.

So I'm suspecting that maybe the record company or whatever, has paid to push those messages across the Spotify network. There is no other explanation for this. This or for the fact, that when you open a new spotify account, your default radio station is Rihanna and you can't change/delete it.

Now here's an example: there are two big companies competing in TV/movie streaming subscriptions. One offers all content with no ads, the other has adds that you can't skip. I've subscribed to the company that has no ads. I had all information I need to make a choice between the two.

So I want Spotify to be completely transparent and honest about what content is in fact advertising.

john_legend_spam.jpg
1 Reply

The only thing on the Discover page that isn't designed to be tailored specifically to you are the banner recommendations you might see at the very top of the page (which you can turn off in Preferences if you're using Premium). If something has been stuck in your Discover page for a long time, something's definitely broken. Get in touch here and one of our support team will get back to you as soon as they can.

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

Suggested posts