Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to get Spotify not to auto-play next song in playlist?

Solved!

How to get Spotify not to auto-play next song in playlist?

Hi everyone, 

I have a quesiton I'd love help with. Can someone tell me if it is possiblle to not have Spotify automatically play next track in a playlist I have created. i want the song to end when it has played out. This is for my MacBook.

docutale

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The only way is to put the track in a playlist on its own.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

As a work around, this should work.

- Create a new playlist, leave it empty (I've got one called "Blank").
- Right click on that playlist name in the sidebar, select "Choose as Current Playlist". Ignore any errors you get.
- Now right click > queue the track you want to play (make sure repeat mode is off).

It will then play that track and stop.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Marked as solution

The only way is to put the track in a playlist on its own.

really there is no off switch? thats crazy!

Yea, I believe the point of playlists is that they play through. As jwylot said, the best way to achieve what you want is to put the track in a playlist on its own.
Marked as solution

As a work around, this should work.

- Create a new playlist, leave it empty (I've got one called "Blank").
- Right click on that playlist name in the sidebar, select "Choose as Current Playlist". Ignore any errors you get.
- Now right click > queue the track you want to play (make sure repeat mode is off).

It will then play that track and stop.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

oooh very crafty Peter.

Agreed - this is so annoying and frustrating, it's a year on from your post and still absolutely nothing done. I miss grooveshark.

+2 years, no solution. I think it would be a 'feature' to have this, in order to use a playlist as a 'favorites library'.

The problem is when it goes through the next song on search results. While I'm writing these lines, it has already jumped to another unrelated noisy track, echoing in the office DUH! I'll stop it now, and Spotify will again pay license rights for some songs which were unsolicited and just annoyed one of their customers... I'm sure there are many threads on the subject, but I couldn't resist replying 😃

I find this absolutely extraordinary. What on earth are Spotify thinking??? To be unable to play one track at a time is outrageous. I was about to go premium until I discovered I couldn't stop autoplaying track after track, now I shall uninstall sadly. This is really beyond belief.

I have to say I would really like this feature. I want to have control over when the next track gets played, not autoplay. However, this applescript gets me closer, even though I've noticed applescript with spotify is sometimes INCONSISTENT. Found here: https://gist.github.com/capnslipp/5052157

tell application "Spotify"

log "“When Song Finishes, Pause”: player state is " & (player state)

if player state is playing then

-- keeping a reference of the current track object doesn't work with Spotify

-- (‘current track’ must be a single object that changes its properties)

-- so instead, we're using the id

set initialCurrentTrackId to (id of current track)

log "“When Song Finishes, Pause”: current track is " & (name of current track)

repeat until initialCurrentTrackId is not (id of current track)

-- wait

log "“When Song Finishes, Pause”: current track id is “" & (id of current track) & "”, initialCurrentTrackId is “" & initialCurrentTrackId & "”"

end repeat

Suggested posts