Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How to use local file instead of Spotify version

How to use local file instead of Spotify version

Hi,

I have a live version of an album on MP3 that I want to add to a playlist, but everytime I do Spotify adds it's non-live version instead. How can I make it stop doing this?

Thanks,

James

3 Replies

Hey @JBenderCMH, welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

If Spotify can’t import a file, it will try to match it with songs from the Spotify catalog. The version we match with might differ from the original.

Have you tried renaming the songs? 

You can also read this FAQ to learn more about Local Files.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Hi Loren,

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure what's going on; in my Local Files list I have a bunch of stuff. I'm guessing some of these is stuff Spotify has downloaded for off-line play, but I'm just guessing. Some of the songs are greyed out, but still playable, including the song in question. I tried renaming the file in Finder, but it didn't seem to have any effect on what Spotify was doing; the name of the song in Spotify didn't change.

Thanks,

James

Hey @JBenderCMH,

Try to switch off local files, move them to a new location where you are sure it's only your local songs in that folder then go ahead and add that new folder as a location for your local files.

If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.
If it didn't help try to install Spotify in a new user account on your Mac.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Suggested posts