Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I Can't Make My Starred List Public

Solved!

I Can't Make My Starred List Public

Errrragh!

I have tried to make my starred playlist public, which it allows me to do in my profile, but it WILL NOT SWITCH OVER.  It checks "public" but defaults to "private" everytime I go back into my profile.

Can anyone help?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

It magically just went public.

Starred

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

A little trick I learned a while back (just wanted to see if it still works!), you can force Facebook to reload the playlist data from Spotify, which generally cures these sort of issues by following the steps I outlined here. 😉 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Dear spotify, 

I'm having the same issue, not being able to make my starred list public. It looks like a number of your clients are having the same issue. Can you please fix this issue in a timely manner? It is decreasing my value for the service. 

Regards

72 Replies
Marked as solution

It magically just went public.

Starred

I am facing the same issue.

Whenever I get to my profile, my Starred list is marked as "private". I right-click and choose "Public", but whenever I check again, the starred list has switched to "Private".

Anyone else has the same problem?

@akouris wrote:

I am facing the same issue.

Whenever I get to my profile, my Starred list is marked as "private". I right-click and choose "Public", but whenever I check again, the starred list has switched to "Private".

Anyone else has the same problem?

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

This does appear to be an issue with the client, which has been discussed here and has been escalated to the Spotify staff. 

Just had a quick look, if your Spotify username is "akouris" I can see your starred playlist is currently public. 

Would you be able to post what client version you are using (Help > About)?

Peter

Peter

Hi - thx for the quick reply.

yes my username is akouris.

Funny thing is that the desktop client (0.8.8.450.gd9413516, OSX/Mountain Lion 10.8.3) still shows my Starred list as "secret"

This does look like a client bug, I will add your details to the escalations topic 😉 

Peter

Peter

I am having the same issue.  I'll check Public and it will not change.  A couple times, randomly, it stated Public, but it will always return to Secret.  And it definitely doesn't change when I request it.

Just talking reviewing the escalation on this, it has been passed onto Spotify internal teams for investigation. 

Hopefully it can be fixed in the next release. 

Peter

Peter

got the same problem, it is really anoying

@sarahkreed wrote:

got the same problem, it is really anoying

Just to update this, the mistake in the client is only visual, the playlist public/secret setting does save and display correctly on your profile regardless of what it says when you restart the client. 

Hopefully it will be fixed in an upcoming release. 

Peter

Peter

this bug is still happening with me.

any eta?

I am having the same problem as well....

@cathycracks - Just checked for you, your starred playlist is public (ignore the fact it says secret in the desktop client!) 

Peter

Peter

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. My username is Cris Carlson. Is there a way anyone can check whether or not my starred list is public? 

@whatsacomputer wrote:

Hey, I'm having the exact same problem. My username is Cris Carlson. Is there a way anyone can check whether or not my starred list is public? 

Cris Carlson will be your Facebook name, not your Spotify username (which will be a string of numbers if you have a Facebook login).

Can you navigate to your profile in the client (top right corner) then right click on your name or profile picture on the profile and select "Copy HTTP Link" and paste that here 😉 

Peter

Peter

Your starred playlist is public 😉 

Peter

Peter

Odd, because a friend the other day said it wasn't. And it goes back in forth between being listed as "Public" and "Secret". I'm glad it's working now, though. Thank you! 

Well, it's listed as "Secret" again. This is irritating 

It is reported incorrectly in the desktop client (its a bug) however whatever setting you click will be saved, just displayed incorrectly. 

Peter

Peter

Suggested posts