Step 1

NEXT STEP

I can see other people's listening activity, but they can't see mine

I can see other people's listening activity, but they can't see mine

Plan: Premium

Device

Macbook Air, Version 12.5

My Question or Issue

My followers can't see what I'm listening to, even though I have "Share my listening activity on Spotify" enabled and Private session disabled. However, I can always see what my following is listening to. I've had friends confirm that they can't ever see my activity.

Could someone please help me fix this? I've had this problem for more than a year but I'm really sad that my friends don't get to see my playlists and listening activity. 

I've tried contacting Spotify support directly, clean reinstalls, going in the mac files, and connecting+reconnecting facebook with no avail. 

If it helps, my problem is exactly like what user @forksintheroad and @seedeeafanie detailed in this post: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/People-can-t-see-what-I-listen-to-but-I-can-see-the...

except it's from 2013 so I can't add anything to it.

If someone could help me fix the issue I'd seriously owe them for life!! 

8 Replies

Hey @añgié,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

Could you try reproducing the issue with a different account? Are your friends able to see the activity of a different account?

How about when you connect the app to the internet via a different internet connection and device?

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi, thanks for replying!

I tried with a different account and I can see that account's activity refresh, so everything works fine.

I have also tried with different wifi and the same thing happens. When I listen to music on my phone or on another desktop, the problem is still there. 

Hey @añgié,

Thank you for keeping in contact.

In this case, it could be a setting on your account that may be affecting the feature. Just to make sure, open your app settings and verify that the Private session option is toggled OFF, as well as the options Listening activity and Recently played artist are toggled ON.

If so and the issue persists, it could be related to some damaged cache stored on your devices. In this case, we'd recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app by following the steps in this article. This will be helpful in getting rid of any cache that might be causing trouble and updating the app.

In case the issue still persists, include the Spotify version you're currently running to continue investigating it.

We'll be on the lookout.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks for replying!

I've checked my settings and private session is off and listening activity+recently played artist are on.

Just completed a clean reinstall, but the issue is still there.

Here's my spotify version:

Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon)
1.1.95.893.g6cf4d40c

If it helps, I know that the issue started occurring for my account after the 2021 desktop update, in April I believe. 

Thanks for all your help!

Hey @añgié,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

In this case, we've 2 different options to offer you. The first one is to get in touch with our Customer Support so they can check your account and transfer all your content to a new account. However, since the subscription cannot be transferred, you'll need to re-subscribe to the new account.

For the second option, we'd recommend subscribing and adding your vote to this thread. There you'll find some additional troubleshooting steps to try, but most important, the relevant team is asking affected users to provide permission to check their accounts and verify what's happening. Keep in mind that the relevant team may also need permission from one of your friends.

Hope this helps. If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

OscarDCModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you I really appreciate your response! 

I subscribed and added my vote to the thread, but there hasn't been a response for more than a week so I'm not sure what to do next. 

Hey @añgié,

Thanks for your reply 🙂

In this case, we'd like you to know that it might take some time to get a reply. No worries, if you prefer you can always go for the first option @OscarDC suggested previously.

If anything else comes up, the Community will always be here for you.

Take care!

AlejaRModerator

Hey!

So now it's been over 2 months and still no reply. The issue is still on-going. Transferring my account is definitely not an option since I'll lose all my friends, stats, and playlist dates. I've had this account since I was in elementary school and I just can't get a new one. 

I don't know how to get in touch with the relevant team since I've never gotten any help with that thread. I really need this issue to be fixed.

Thanks!

Suggested posts