Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

I hit the download button on my iMac. where did it download to and can I delete the download without

Solved!

I hit the download button on my iMac. where did it download to and can I delete the download without

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

imac

Operating System

os 10.11

My Question or Issue

I hit the download button on my iMac. where did it download to and can I delete the download without it deleting my playlist

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @spotyguy15, you can find the location (and even change it) under the advanced settings of the Spotify Desktop App. By default, offline songs are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/PersistentCache/Storage 

These are stored in the form of encoded ogg vorbis files, and are protected through digital rights management, meaning that they cannot be accessed without the Spotify Application. You can delete them from that folder, but Spotify will recognize that you're downloaded songs are different than what you have selected to be downloaded and download the songs that you've deleted, so you'll have to deselect the download option on these playlists/albums. Then you can delete all of the files in that folder!

To delete the contents of the offline cache, you can open terminal and run the following command:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/PersistentCache/Storage/*

This will not affect your playlists, and will not edit the contents of them. It will merely change what songs are available offline!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @spotyguy15, you can find the location (and even change it) under the advanced settings of the Spotify Desktop App. By default, offline songs are stored in ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify/PersistentCache/Storage 

These are stored in the form of encoded ogg vorbis files, and are protected through digital rights management, meaning that they cannot be accessed without the Spotify Application. You can delete them from that folder, but Spotify will recognize that you're downloaded songs are different than what you have selected to be downloaded and download the songs that you've deleted, so you'll have to deselect the download option on these playlists/albums. Then you can delete all of the files in that folder!

To delete the contents of the offline cache, you can open terminal and run the following command:

rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Spotify/PersistentCache/Storage/*

This will not affect your playlists, and will not edit the contents of them. It will merely change what songs are available offline!

Thanks Landon, got it, much appreciated.

Suggested posts