Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Import iTunes Playlist has disappeared

Import iTunes Playlist has disappeared

I use my iTunes as my main music player - but use Spotify while I am out as there are playlists going back years on iTunes that I don't want to re-do from scratch.

The ability to 'import playlist' has suddenly disappered. Why? Is it coming back? How do I get it back?

9 Replies

If you go into preferences, you need to make sure iTunes is turned on. Having that turned on will search your systems local iTunes music folder where you have the music stored at.

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The local files appear in the 'local files' tab - but the playlists are not available.

And I can't see a way to import them - which was easily done just a few days ago.

Did you try the drag and drop method?

In Spotify, create a new playlist. Name it the same title as a playlist from iTunes you want to transfer to Spotify. With iTunes open, click and drag and drop the desired playlist into the new playlist you just created in Spotify.

MauriceMVRock Star 7

Just tried that and nothing happened.

If iTunes is turned on in your preferences you should attempt to find the folder where they (lists) are stored and add it as a source by clicking 'Add Source'. If none of this works, contact Spotify Customer Service here. They usually reply within 24-48 hours.

MauriceMVRock Star 7

Thanks for getting back to me - I couldn't add playlists from source so I have got in touch with customer service.

Hi! Did you have any reply from Customer Service? I have the same problem you have and I can't find the solution!

Thanks

Hey guys - I figured out a workaround! It looks like a lot of steps, but it's actually pretty simple. Hope this helps! Reply back if you run into any snags. 

1. In your Spotify preferences, under local files, turn on iTunes. (or use "add a source" if you have relocated your iTunes library)

2. Close Spotify

3. Open iTunes, click on the playlist you want to import into Spotify

4. Select all songs in the playlist, and "get info"

***** Be careful with this next step, because you will be editing the info for all the songs in the playlist

5. Type something into any field that you do not typically use. (typically grouping, comments, etc.) I typed a "1" in the BPM field

6. Click "Ok" and close iTunes

7. Reopen Spotify

8. Create a new playlist (name it the same as in iTunes if you want, or choose a new name)

9. Go to Local Files

10. Sort by the calendar icon at the top, and all the files you just modified in iTunes should show a time of just a few minutes prior

11. Select all the songs you just edited by clicking the first one, then scrolling to the last one and shift-clicking

12. Drag them to the new playlist you just created.

13. Repeat the process for any other playlists you want to transfer to Spotify.

anything for MAc users?

Suggested posts