Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Insanely long load time on iMac desktop

Insanely long load time on iMac desktop

Not sure exactly when, but my iMac spotify install got pretty much unusable -- the load time is, and I'm not exaggerating, 9-10 minutes.  If I were to wait that long, the performance once everything loads is OK.  It's strictly the load.  On my iphone X (latest OS) load time is fine.  On my Macbook Pro (recent acquisition), same OS as desktop (High Sierra 10.13.6), load time is fine.

What can I do to restore the load time on my iMac -- my wife usually is curled up with the Macbook Pro!  Help!

(And for chrisake spotify, put a friggin' A-Z on the right side of the library on the deskop version - sheesh.)

38 Replies

Hey lindytunes1,

Just wanna make sure I am understanding you correctly. Are you saying the time it takes for the app to open is taking a long time? If so, have you tried redownloading the app? Or checking to see if Spotify needs updated?

Let me know!

Hey @lindytunes1, Welcome to the Community.

Hope you are doing great!

About the A-Z slider in your Library, this sounds like a good idea. I’d suggest starting a new thread in the Community Ideas ExchangeThis’ll allow users, Stars, and Moderators to vote and comment on it 🙂

Now about the slow load of Spotify, I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

Try to disable Hardware Acceleration, just click on the spotify Menu in your Menu Bar next to the Apple Menu, just find Hardware Acceleration and next click on it to disable then confirm to restart Spotify.
Also, if you don't use local files try to disable them inside Settings.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next!

@Loxer good call with restarting the Mac! I totally forgot to mention that as another troubleshooting option. 

Deleted the app and resintalled and problme resolved ... but still cna't synch to iphone ... sheesh ... will post separate...

I've been experiencing the same issue, it just takes too long -more than 10 minutes or never- to load ie. discovery weekly or other playlists I have saved. I use IMAC 

I`ve deleted and installed again twice this week...and still same problem... 

Captura de pantalla 2018-12-05 a la(s) 20.40.11.png

Same problem here. Never used to be like this. As a paid user for years, I may just stop being one. It's getting ridiculous.

I have a same issue too. I'm plaining to bring my playlist to apple music. I'm paying 15 bucks a month and I can't even listen music.

Same problem. Playlists and search results can take upwards of 2+ minutes to display their contents. Interestingly enough, I can double-click the playlist to start playing their songs before they've loaded into the UI, and it does not happen with all playlists. No firewall, proxy, or adblocking are enabled on my network; and other internet-utilizing programs do not experience the same lag.

Things I have tried to remedy this:

• Disabled Local Files
  • Disabled Hardware Acceleration
  • Switched proxy settings to None
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled Spotify using these instructions (including removal of cache files)
  • Restarted machine
  • Logged in/out of Spotify

My system info:

• Mac OS X 10.12.6
  • Spotify v1.1.1.348g906473a
  • Premium Family Plan

Let me know if you need any additional information. I think it's a daily occurence when I get in first thing in the morning, and then is fine afterwards.

same here. basically it's always been like this, and they don't give a toss about desktop, their main interest app wise it tablet and phone. I'm sorry as a paying customer i don't expect to have to reload the application everytime i want to use it. There's something inherantly wrong with it and they don't care.

Same here....booted up Spotify and it just wasn't responding for at least 20 minutes...I noticed an update available so I took that option, but that took at least another 15 minutes to complete.

I'm using a Mac Mini running macOS Mojave 10.14.5.

I'd like to add my voice to this issue, because after a bit of googling it seems to be affecting a lot of people, and has been doing so for a long time.

Late 2015 iMac, High Sierra, Spotify 1.1.9.383.g9f48828e, and I'm paying for premium. 

Spotify is practially unusable at the moment. Even locally stored You Library > Songs seems to take 20 minutes to load. "Home", "Made For You", artist pages, radio, and playlists that aren't stored locally are all suffering stupidly long load times (10-20 minutes plus). No network issues.

I have deleted & reinstalled, turned Hardware Acceleration off & on with no change to the issue. I'm getting close to ditching Spotify, I don't see the point in paying for something that doesn't actually work. Has anyone from Spotify actually adressed this?

As an update to my post above, I've been sitting waiting for my locally stored "Your Library > Songs" to load since before I started the previous post. So far it's been 40+ minutes and no cigars. The music is locally stored, I don't understand how an application can be this broken?

Edit: 60+ minutes for locally stored music to load

Edit #2: 70+ minutes and my locally stored music is finally loaded. Well done Spotify - The Little App That Could.

I just registered to add my own dissatisfaction, I have the same OS Sierra load issue, it can take HOURS to load a single song, it's bassically unuseable half my work day, from the posts in the thread, it doesn't seem like this is ever going to be addressed, definitely canceling my paid subscription to Spotify over this, complete dealbreaker.

My theory (and what can we do at this point other than theorize, because there's no answer for this issue) is that they're going to gut and/or discontinue the desktop app as it is now and just release a new version that's just an HTML panel to the web player, and there goes the social feature that is seeing what your friends are listening to.

I don't even care about the social features. I just want 2 things:

• My locally stored files to act like they're locally stored and load when I open the app, not 1+ hours later.

• The radio/made for you fuctions to work more than 10% of the time - this was the thing that got me paying for the service, but it doesn't work at the moment so why pay?

The fact that there's no acknowledgement of the brokenness of the app is pretty disappointing. Crickets on all of these threads, except for some standard responses that don't help at all.

getting seriously fed up of looking at this - sometimes a restart of the app fixes it, other times not. I'm fully updated, I have no files downloaded, all I want to do is stream the albums and playlists I have saved. (happens a bit on the Android app as well but it's all the **bleep** time on the Mac app):

spinning circle of doomspinning circle of doom

And someone else has just posted the same problem.

Definitely something wrong with the app.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/playlists-take-too-long-or-doesn-t-load-at-all/td-p/478...

yes - same problem here. with no other apps running it took 5 minutes to open. I clicked on a playlist at 8:48 - 24 minutes later it still has not opened. I contacted spotify via faebook messenger and they tried a few things and then told me to consult with my it department. I work in a non profit - we have no IT departement! This sucks.

Suggested posts