Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

Highlighted

Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

Sharke
Regular

I keep looking for a way to view my categories as a list instead of this awful grid view with album covers which is I guess all the rage in design but is HORRIBLE from a usability perspective, however I cannot find any such option. Am I missing something or has Spotify just completely failed to implement something so basic? 

13 Replies

Re: Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

Rock Star 24
Rock Star 24

You mean playlist folders?

The new view shows them all as a grid.

If you want it back, add a kudo to this idea to show support:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Bring-back-tracklist-view-of-Playlist-Folders/id...

MattSudaRock Star 24
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Re: Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

Rock Star 7
Rock Star 7

Nope, at the moment, there is no option for that. You can always submit a new idea though :smileywink:

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sharke
Regular
I mean the grid view for everything - playlists, artists, albums. It
absolutely should offer the user a list view - usability 101. I will check
out the link, thanks.

user_y
Casual Listener

It's 2016 now 2017, and stupid unicorn design like that of spotify desktop client's grid view has largely gone the way of the unicorn.  Except of course in spotify's desktop client app.  

This isn't the only absurd UX in the desktop app - it's just among the most ineffective UX.

kfarahan

This is **bleep**ing retarded. Spotify you're lucky nothing else exists right now. Stop trying to be unique and giving us this bubble view bull**bleep**. I want to scroll through my massive list of artists not guess and check based on picture. Whoever is blocking this change needs to be fired.

Sharke
Regular
It really is incredible that they are being so stubborn about offering a
list view for artists. My guess is that there is a culture among Spotify's
UI team of adhering to the latest trends in design, regardless of how
inconvenient or stupid it is. A lot of modern design is like that. They're
satisfying their own aesthetic sensibilities instead of giving the user
better functionality, and this is a trend in software design that I would
love to see die.

Of course the other explanation is poorly planned code which has left them
without the option to offer a list view without breaking a whole bunch of
other stuff. This is also common among today's hip young software
engineers.

vedicaudio
Casual Listener

Spotify has completely failed to implement something so basic, because they want to make the user interface as terrible as possible, in order to keep traffic to their servers at a minimum. That way they can stay in business. If they actually had a usable app, people would use it more, and traffic would overwhelm their server infrastructure.

richsdixon

Utterly laughable.

sjimbo

Why ..  why is this still not possible ?! I want to organize all other folders as lists, as well as icons etc but LISTS I want most ...

You might have the label deals now, but dont sit ur asses of. If you're not focussing on your base user and their UX/UI ... then 1 day you're gonna loose the big battle, and me as a customer.   

Jim.   

SUGGESTED POSTS