Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

Is there a list view for albums/artists etc or are we restricted to this inconvenient grid view?

I keep looking for a way to view my categories as a list instead of this awful grid view with album covers which is I guess all the rage in design but is HORRIBLE from a usability perspective, however I cannot find any such option. Am I missing something or has Spotify just completely failed to implement something so basic? 

13 Replies

You mean playlist folders?

The new view shows them all as a grid.

If you want it back, add a kudo to this idea to show support:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Desktop-Bring-back-tracklist-view-of-Playlist-Folders/id...

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Nope, at the moment, there is no option for that. You can always submit a new idea though Smiley Wink

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I mean the grid view for everything - playlists, artists, albums. It
absolutely should offer the user a list view - usability 101. I will check
out the link, thanks.

It's 2016 now 2017, and stupid unicorn design like that of spotify desktop client's grid view has largely gone the way of the unicorn.  Except of course in spotify's desktop client app.  

This isn't the only absurd UX in the desktop app - it's just among the most ineffective UX.

This is **bleep**ing retarded. Spotify you're lucky nothing else exists right now. Stop trying to be unique and giving us this bubble view bull**bleep**. I want to scroll through my massive list of artists not guess and check based on picture. Whoever is blocking this change needs to be fired.

It really is incredible that they are being so stubborn about offering a
list view for artists. My guess is that there is a culture among Spotify's
UI team of adhering to the latest trends in design, regardless of how
inconvenient or stupid it is. A lot of modern design is like that. They're
satisfying their own aesthetic sensibilities instead of giving the user
better functionality, and this is a trend in software design that I would
love to see die.

Of course the other explanation is poorly planned code which has left them
without the option to offer a list view without breaking a whole bunch of
other stuff. This is also common among today's hip young software
engineers.

Spotify has completely failed to implement something so basic, because they want to make the user interface as terrible as possible, in order to keep traffic to their servers at a minimum. That way they can stay in business. If they actually had a usable app, people would use it more, and traffic would overwhelm their server infrastructure.

Utterly laughable.

Why ..  why is this still not possible ?! I want to organize all other folders as lists, as well as icons etc but LISTS I want most ...

You might have the label deals now, but dont sit ur asses of. If you're not focussing on your base user and their UX/UI ... then 1 day you're gonna loose the big battle, and me as a customer.   

Jim.   

Seems to me that if you click on "songs", two above artists, you get the artists in list form, sortable alphabetically, by date etc...or am I missing what you're looking for?

Yeah, you're missing what we are all looking for. We want a simple list
of artist names that can be scrolled through, such that we can see
30-100 artists on the screen at any given time. We do not want to have
to scroll through a list of 20,000 songs or giant thumbnails of artists.

Absolutely insane, I canceled Tidal due to a similiar issue where they will not alphebetize their artist list.  Everything is in the order that you added it to your library.  At least it's in a list though.  Why do so many of these companies make this so difficult.  Sonos is a joke as well.  Seems like we are going backwards.  **bleep**. I would bail on Spotify for this lack of customization the instant a different option existed.  Totally asinine.

My post from nearly two years ago bears repeating:

usery
2016-07-23 12:24 AM
It's 2016 now 2017 2018 and stupid unicorn design like that of the Spotify desktop client grid view has largely gone the way of the unicorn.  Except of course in Spotify's desktop client app.  

This isn't the only absurd UX in the desktop app - it's just among the most ineffective UX.

Suggested posts