Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Issue with Spotify Connect between Mac and Chromecast

Solved!

Issue with Spotify Connect between Mac and Chromecast

Hi,

I saw a couple of questions about the same issue I will describe here in the forum but I could not find a single good answer so let me try to give a few test cases to put a light on the problem:

Scenario:

I open my Spotify app on my iPhone and cast any song to my TV builtin Chromecast. In the meantime I am working on my Macbook Pro which also has the Spotify app always open. I am going AFK to get something to eat but I still want to listen for the current song playing on my TV.

The problem: When my Mac goes into sleep mode to save battery the Spotify app sends a command to pause the song on the TV.

Now correct me if I am wrong but if the Spotify app on the TV is streaming the song directly from Spotify's servers, why the app running on the Mac is sending a command to stop? 

I put in the scenario the original cast being started from the iPhone just to make it clear that this behavior happens even when the Mac app is not doing anything (it's just open and minimized). And by the way I can lock my iPhone and the song is not paussed. This only happens with the mac app.

To avoid this pause I need to close the mac app everytime I am going AFK.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Dear @user-removed

I am sorry to hear that this issue is still re-occuring. I haven't been able to find a solution to this issue. Please submit an issue ticket and Spotify will get their software engineers to  review the problem.

When you fill out the report, begin the thread with [Chromecast] and be as specific as possible. The more details you provide, the quicker the issue can be fixed. Include:

• The exact date and time that Spotify skipped/paused on your Chromecast 
  • The exact version number of Spotify you're running
  • The device you're casting Spotify from
  • The exact version number of Chromecast you're running
  • The result from a 60 Ping test. Steps on how to do this here

I shall close this thread, but if you would like any further assistance, reply below.

Best,

Carl 🙂

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi @user-removed, Thanks for your post. 

There are two ways you can get a smart TV with a built in Chromecast to play music from Spotify.

1. Using the Spotify app itself on the TV

2. You can stream the music from your Spotify app on a Phone, laptop or tablet by clicking at the botttom 'Devices available' and selecting your TV. I have a Sony Bravia Smart TV and mine appears as simply 'TV' but some may come up with its product name. Note. This may not always be the case if you personalised the name of your TV (some manufacturers do offer this feature). 

If you want to prevent the sound from your TV from pausing when your laptop goes onto its screensaver, make sure you are using the Spotify app on the TV.

I hope this helps,

Let me know if you have any other questions

Carl 🙂

I am using the Spotify app on TV. If I initially start the app from the TV, put something to play and after that I start to work on my computer (with the spotify app open), it pauses the song on the TV as soon as it goes to sleep.

Hey there, @user-removed

Thanks for letting us know, sorry for any confusion!

If you tap the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen and select Devices Available, can you let us know what shows on your Mac?

If you have Guest Mode enabled on your Chromecast, nearby devices can also connect to it without having to join your WiFi network. It's possible this could be interfering with things. There's some more info on this here. Can you let us know if this is enabled?

Keep us in the loop,

/M

Usually there are a list of devices available (ps4, tv, phone, mac, etc). But when the song is playing on the TV, the mac shows the TV as the current device playing. I already tried to create a separete wifi network and add only each device individually. The problem only happens when the mac is connected to the network. Like I said, there is something in the spotify app for mac that send a stop command to any other device playing when the mac enters sleep mode.

Marked as solution

Dear @user-removed

I am sorry to hear that this issue is still re-occuring. I haven't been able to find a solution to this issue. Please submit an issue ticket and Spotify will get their software engineers to  review the problem.

When you fill out the report, begin the thread with [Chromecast] and be as specific as possible. The more details you provide, the quicker the issue can be fixed. Include:

• The exact date and time that Spotify skipped/paused on your Chromecast 
  • The exact version number of Spotify you're running
  • The device you're casting Spotify from
  • The exact version number of Chromecast you're running
  • The result from a 60 Ping test. Steps on how to do this here

I shall close this thread, but if you would like any further assistance, reply below.

Best,

Carl 🙂

I also had this problem. For me this solution worked: I uninstalled my previous version of Spotify from my Macbook Air. I then reinstalled the new version from the Spotify website. Now I can listen to Spotify music from my Spotify application on my Macbook Air directly to my Google Home.

Suggested posts