Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local files not transferring to iPhone

Local files not transferring to iPhone

Plan

Premium

Device

iPhone 7 Plus

Operating System

Mac

My Question or Issue

I'm trying to transfer local files from my computer to my phone. When I downloaded songs from a playlist, which includes local files and normal songs, it only downloaded the normal songs. It's on the same Wi Fi network, I set both playlists to download, I even offloaded some unused apps in case there wasn't enough data, yet it's still not working after 20 minutes. What can be done?

5 Replies

Hey there @thenetsarenear,

Thank you for your post here in the Community. We're sorry to hear that you experience this. We're happy to help.

Even though some other file types might work, these are the ones that the feature is designed to work with:

• .mp3

• .m4p (unless it contains video)

• .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)

• .m4a (unless it’s an Apple lossless file; ALAC or ALE)

These files must exist on the device, either outside of the app or by setting them to Offline inside the app

To sync local files from one device to another, you must be actively logged in to both devices with Spotify open and on the same network

Local files can be turned on/off in the Settings menu.

Can you double-check that you've followed all of the support site steps correctly.

It's also useful to try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist.

If that doesn't do the trick - can you try the following:

• Add some songs from our catalogue to the playlist as well as the local file/s and make sure they have ‘Show unavailable songs in playlists’ turned on in Settings

• Play some music on the device that has the local files to see if it shows via Connect on the other device

• Make sure the router supports the Bonjour protocol. If the router is made after 2005, it will likely have this protocol. The best way to handle this is to check the router make/model and Google it

Another useful step in is to change the source folder of the local files on the pc. The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

Let us know how everything goes so that we can continue assist you if you need us to. We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

All the files are mp3 files and I was logged in on both devices while on the same network the whole time I was trying. I tried playing the local file songs to connect them, but it always brought up the same message: "song not downloaded."

Hey again @thenetsarenear,

Thank you for your reply.

Can you change the source folder of the local files on the pc? The steps are: Uninstall Spotify on both devices > create a new folder somewhere else on the pc and move the local files there > install Spotify again > remove any potential source folders and add the new one > download the playlist again.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

I just redownloaded the app on both devices and moves the files into another folder. I didn't really have a folder in the first place but moving them all to a new folder still didn't work.

Hey again @thenetsarenear,

Thank you for your confirmation.

Can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persist?

If that doesn't do the trick - can you perform a clean reinstall? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts