Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Solved!

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

Hey @cementfeet,

Thanks for posting on the Community 🙂 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also head here and add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

The status "visitor" isn't related to your subscription. It refers to how often you post on the Community.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help. 

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Mine has the same thing though not as frequently as yours by the sounds of it. Mine usually does it when opening the laptop from sleep where Spotify was not closed beforehand. I haven't had the issue with random songs but will keep an eye on it

I have the same with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Hi Spotify staff,

It's ridiculous that you consider this post "solved". 

By saying "we do not have an official date for the Apple Silicon native version" doesn't mean you have solved the problem. If anything, you ignored the problem. 

This has been an issue ever since the release of the M1 chip (and as developers I'm sure you have been informed way before that), and the voice of Apple customers seems to be ignored on purpose.

Including me, I have already seen a couple of users cancelling their subscriptions. Just think of how many users will silently cancel whenever you see one posting about this.

Good luck Spotify. 

Same thing is happening with me— got a new MacBook Air (13-inch, M1, 2020) for work and downloaded spotify and it was working fine no crashes, but almost every morning if I keep spotify open when I close my laptop for the night I'll wake up with a crash report– pls resolve, it's getting annoying!

It's ridiculous that Spotify doesn't have support yet for Apple M1.

Hey there @ratatat96, @ljgda and @w3o9i-sw0g_4p,

Thank you replies in this thread.

Can you confirm if you performed a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Also just started my 3 month Apple Music trial. Can't believe a pay service does not have a native app 6 month after launch of an Apple product. Was holding out hoping it would come but have been really impressed with Apple Music : (

It's been nearly six months since the release of Apple Silicon Macs (plus a few months before that when the development kits were released), and with new Silicon Mac models being released later this year, the problem of not having native/Universal binary support is only going to get worse in the long run. Rosetta 2 is certainly convenient, but it does require a little more resources than a native app in order for it to run.

Happens to me when the wifi reconnects

Hi @cfahy25

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you give it a try using a different internet connection, for example creating a hotspot on your phone and using that to check if that makes the difference?

If this doesn't do the trick, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy. 

Keep us posted 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This happens to me at least a couple times every day, typically when I unlock my computer after being away. If it doesn't crash, I'll get the "Spotify cannot play song" notification when I try to play something which I have to restart the desktop app to fix. 

Hey there @dasnyder3,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you list the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread that you've already tried?

We'd also like to know the exact model of your Mac.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

I will not be responding to forum any more,

It could not be more clear there is an issue with M1.

It is even more evidently so that Spotify does not care and instead asks questions that have already got an answer, weather or not this is on purpose I do not know.

You also want people to "Vote" to fix a bug, this is absolute rubbish. 

Extremely disappointed.   

Hi! I noticed a recommendation about reinstalling the client is nice, but it could very much be something to do with Rosetta. I'd suggest finally letting out a binary native for M1s, for stability. I'm open to doing it for you, if you were to give me access.

It's not like you don't have this app.

Just uncheck the "Please, screw the owners of Apple Silicon hardware instead of serving them the iPad app WE'VE ALREADY DEVELOPED" button and make us happy. It takes 5 MINUTES, and NO DEVELOPER TIME. And we'll enjoy it.

I am in the exact same boat - I have the newest Macbook Pro and Spotify Premium. I pay for this app and it keeps crashing!

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

We're always testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall and we’re constantly aiming to improve our features.

You can read more about how your feedback reaches Spotify here.

Once again - thanks for the feedback, we appreciate it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else. 

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts in this thread.

We really want to keep on helping you so it would be great if you can let us know what troubleshooting steps you've taken so far.

We'll keep an eye out for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator

An update with no update. Thanks for nothing!

Suggested posts