Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Solved!

Apple Silicon and Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

Same issue, on M1 MacBook Air, Big Sur, premium user. Have sent multiple reports to Apple to no avail. Keeps quitting unexpectedly every day. Why haven't the moderators provided an actually useful solution? Please do something about it, it's really frustrating.

Hey Spotify Team,

Just wanting to let you know that non-stop crashes are still happening. 2020 MacBook Air M1.

It has gotten so bad to the point where I'm just using the browser player vs. app now.

Whatever the issue is, please let us know when this will be resolved.

It's fairly disappointing that this hasn't been a priority in any way for Spotify.  

Any updates? 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and feedback.

For any updates regarding this we suggest that you add a +VOTE and Subscribe to the idea that's provided in the Top answer in the thread.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

2020 MacBook Air M1 here, too. The MacBook app is constantly crashing, so much so that I have to stream music off my iPhone if I want to listen to a whole song without having to restart the Mac app and resume listening from where it crashed. I 100% love Spotify but I can't actually use it on my Mac, which is a huge disappointment.

Hi there Jeremy!

How about instead of placing the onus on your customers to "vote" for an answer (which tells us to "vote" for the issue), you could instead provide an update on when we can expect to use Spotify on our machines without it crashing hourly?

Thanks! 

This is hilarious, I'm uninstalling, it's unusable. I don't know why it's so difficult to release an arm version. As other apps have shown. This is a paid service! I'm disappointed by Spotify. For an apple user this a reason to switch to Apple Music.

Spotify - get this fix in place!! 

I have an M1 Macbook Pro running on Big Sur 11.2.3 and I have a hard lined ethernet connection plus WiFi on. Every time I leave my machine and it goes to sleep and I come back Spotify has quite unexpectedly. I receive a message from Apple saying such and I click to send the report to Apple. Only thing I can think of that might be causing an issue is the settings in System Preferences > Battery the current settings I have are as follows:

• checked - Put hard disks to sleep when possible
  • checked - Slightly dim the display while on batter power
  • unchecked - Optimize video streaming while on battery
  • checked - Optimized battery charging

When on power adapter these are the settings:

• unchecked - prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off
  • checked - put hard disks to sleep when possible
  • checked - wake for network access

Let's hope y'all can figure this out cause this crashing is SUPER annoying!!

Here is a screenshot of what comes up. Happy to send the details of this cause I can replicate it as soon as my macbook goes to sleep. 

Spotify - y'all got to get this fixed!! There is no reason anyone should have to vote to have you fix a bug!

western_0-1621968972938.png

2 updates this week, problem still remains 😴

I think that the problem might be related to Spotify Connect as every time I go to load devices, it crashes... If I try to control another device when already playing on Spotify Connect again, it crashes. This only happens on my M1 MacBook Pro. 

Mac M1, Big Sur, Segmentation fault crashes multiple times a day. M1 has been around for a while now, not good enough service to be paying premium prices for at the moment

Hi Jeremy! Can you contact the development team to please give us the update that we are waiting since December 2020? This problema won't get any smaller since Apple will be only releasing Apple Silicon computers from now on.. So you guys won't loose any more clients and we can receive the functional service that we are paying for once all.
Thanks!

Hi there @sterin,

Thank you for your reply.

In this case we suggest that you head over to this article to read how ideas work and how the Spotify team looks into them.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator

Hi @Jeremy,

Thank you for your response, it is reassuring to hear from you.

According to that article, an Idea will be put "Under Consideration" if it gains over 180 votes in 6 months. This Idea has gained over 319 votes in under 4 months, so is this Idea under consideration? Do you plan to support Apple Silicon? What are the challenges that have prevented it so far?

Many thanks,

Laurence

I've been a paying Spotify user for 11 years, finally, tired of Spotify's inactivity today I switched to Apple Music.

I work with a computer with M1 processor. Every time the computer goes to sleep, Spotify closes with an error. This can be 10 times a day.

It's a shame that a company like Spotify that also, for its desktop application uses Electron, a technology based on Chrome and that for months now has native support for M1 has not deigned to give us a solution for this. Practically all the applications that use this technology (and most of them free) have already ported their applications even in beta.

I guess we Mac users and customers from more than 10 years ago are not a priority for the company. So today ends my relationship with Spotify.

Not sure what they've done with these updates but Spotify (Macbook Air) has become almost unusable. I was one of the first users in the UK so I have a load of playlists ... but I've never had problems like I've experienced over the past few weeks with the updates. It's been a nightmare. I'm basically playing everything off my iPhone now through speakers instead. 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies.

We understand there're many users switching to the M1 CPU types, and of course we want to ensure that our app is future-proof and supports as many devices as possible.

As with all new CPU developments, it requires time to optimize software to run on new hardware.

As soon as we are ready to announce full support we'll update our idea thread.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy,

Thank you for your response, we know the team is working hard.

Can you tell us more about why the team decided not to release the web app bundled with a version of Chromium, as a DMG? Third parties are already offering this and it works much better than the Spotify app.

Would it take too long to fully test it yourself?
Are there some potential DRM issues with it?

Spotify should be able to communicate this kind of technical stuff with the community. We want to hear about the challenges and exciting things you are working on!

Thanks

Suggested posts