Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and replies.

We understand there're many users switching to the M1 CPU types, and of course we want to ensure that our app is future-proof and supports as many devices as possible.

As with all new CPU developments, it requires time to optimize software to run on new hardware.

As soon as we are ready to announce full support we'll update our idea thread.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Been paying for 7 years and it looks it's where i'll end up too.

Constant startup crashes and slow performance on M1 Macmini.

Fix or will be leaving for another music platform. 

It's getting increasingly ridiculous. Just give a clear update on the plan. 

I didn't want to try Apple Music but with the LACK of RESPECT for customers I feel forced to give it a shot.

Great fan of spotify app but considering moving to apple music service until spotify fix this messy app on M1.

Constant crashing especially after M1 mac goes to sleep. It's been quite some time since the M1 macs were released and still no ARM version. Spotify please fix, or I'll be leaving for Apple Music.

It's a huge problem but few people go through the trouble of posting the issue here. Spotify is unresponsive on this and other user problems. They say that they will do something but don't hold your breath. I predict nothing will happen. I might drop Spotify and only use Apple Music. The problem doesnt exist there.

Brand new Air M1 here too and same issue happening to me. App keeps crashing. Also the app is running along a Terminal window for Spotify Helper? Not sure if this is expected behavior. Closing the Terminal Windows closes the Spotify app as well. 

This idea thread is about making the app ARM native on macOS.  This is entirely separate from the crashing problem. You could fix this problem without totally porting the app to run natively.

This issue is now 6 months old and it has been erroneously lumped into the "it'll be fixed when we add native support."

Just fix the crashes first. This is a critical/urgent 6 month old issue.  For shame.

So glad I found this thread, I thought there must be something wrong with my new Air M1 – the app works fine while I'm actively using the computer, but it inevitably crashes if the screen goes to sleep/I close and reopen the lid. Tried two clean reinstalls, but nada. The Safari web player is junk too – if I pause a song, I have to manually refresh the page to make it start playing again. Come on Spotify!

Same here. Any GOOD alternative for Spotify? And refund my money dear Spotify!

+1 To this issue. It's been happening since the 11.4 (20F71) update. Engineer resource allocation is always challenging, but this seems like at least a P1 if not, a P0 fix. Please escalate this to MacOS Product Manager or Eng Lead. 

This issue popped up last week for me. I have already attempted 2 clean reinstalls of the app. 

Computer setup. 

MBP M1, MacOS 11.4 (20F71). Samsung Thunderbolt monitor as second display. 
Audio Interface: iD22 via USB -> Display USB -> Thunderbolt. 
Spotify is connected on multiple devices throughout the home, including 2 Apple TVs, 2 iPhones, Google Home mini. Sometimes the devices compete for usage time. 

Steps to reproduce. 

1. Launch Spotify 

2. Crash log. 

1. Spotify already launched. 

2. Computer locks 

3. Upon reopening, Spotify has crashed. 

Recent crash logs attached.

(Apologies if this is a repeat issue. See crash logs attached)

+1 To this issue. It's been happening since the 11.4 (20F71) update. Engineer resource allocation is always challenging, but this seems like at least a P1 if not, a P0 fix. Please escalate this to MacOS Product Manager or Eng Lead. 

This issue popped up last week for me. I have already attempted 2 clean reinstalls of the app. 

Computer setup. 

MBP M1, MacOS 11.4 (20F71). Samsung Thunderbolt monitor as second display. 
Audio Interface: iD22 via USB -> Display USB -> Thunderbolt. 
Spotify is connected on multiple devices throughout the home, including 2 Apple TVs, 2 iPhones, Google Home mini. Sometimes the devices compete for usage time. 

Steps to reproduce. 

1. Launch Spotify 

2. Crash log. 

1. Spotify already launched. 

2. Computer locks 

3. Upon reopening, Spotify has crashed. 

You can retrieve crash logs by going to Finder > Go > Go to Folder > 

Type: ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

Create a zip file .

I just built an M1 compatible version from Spotify webplayer with widevine support, signed with castlab: https://github.com/progcode/spotify-silicon

Spotify is crashing on my M1 MacBook Air to the point that it's almost useless. M1 Macs are available for developers since July 2020 and most applications have already launched their native apps many months ago. No "idea" endorsement should be needed for Spotify to get its own app working on our computers. I'm giving up Spotify and migrating to Apple Music and would suggest you do the same.

JUNE 2021 -- I'm here because I googled "Spotify M1 mac problem" on my own. I've installed, and reinstalled, and it's still so glitchy. Come on, Spotify. Keep up or we'll just switch to Apple Music. Apple already knows what computers we're using... do you?

What a joke!

It’s been over 6 months since Apple has started selling Macs with Apple Silicone. And Spotify still doesn’t have an app that runs natively for the newest devices on the one of (if not, THE) MOST popular laptop line ever??!!! VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Spotify technically works under Rosetta, but I get periodic crashes and Intel processes consumer significantly more RAM. This is one of the few holdouts. I think only Steam is the other Intel processs I run (it crashes also randomly) I honestly don't see why this should be such a big issue as it's easy enough to just set the target arch in Xcode and build a universal binary. Unless there are some binary dependencies that haven't upgraded? Either way, this HAS TO BE on your roadmap. 

That is exactly what happens to me. If my Mac goes to sleep for even a moment, I open it to a crash notice every single time

Suggested posts