Plan

Premium

New Zealand

Have reinstalled.

Device

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur V 11.2.3 

Upon looking in the forums this seems to be a common issue?

When will this be fixed?

It keeps crashing even when not playing music.

It keeps randomly starting playing songs I have never played and puts them on loop.

Please sort this out, this is a paid service!

77 Replies

Doobetter
Casual Listener

@kiwikezza I am so sorry at how you have been treated by the Spotify corporation, which has still not followed up on your problem 2.5 months after you posted it.

Keep an eye out for possible class action lawsuits (or consider starting one):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-Apple-Silicon-Class-Action-Lawsuit/td-p/5223639

Matt1985

How little do you care? Seriously interested? It's mid June and the app crashes several times a day on m1. How long will this take you?

Qirafanos
Visitor

Still a problem. Have exhausted all routes to fix mentioned. 

I have explored with Mac to the point of hardware inspection - they concluded it was a software issue. 

Spotify - get it sorted already!

matheusbonela

Spotify is crashing on my M1 MacBook Air to the point that it's almost useless. M1 Macs are available for developers since July 2020 and most applications have already launched their native apps many months ago. No "idea" endorsement should be needed for Spotify to get its own app working on our computers. I'm giving up Spotify and migrating to Apple Music and would suggest you do the same.

brainkilla
Casual Listener
I’ve had a free Deezer subscription for a couple of years via my mobile carrier, but kept paying for Spotify since it offers a vastly better experience; however, since I've just also got a free Tidal subscription from my cable company and the devs seems disinterested in supporting m1 Macs, I’ll just migrate my playlists and stop funding people who don’t appreciate their paying customers...

wpdaniel
Casual Listener

I just built an M1 compatible version from Spotify webplayer with widevine support, signed with castlab: https://github.com/progcode/spotify-silicon

datalord

Thanks for doing this.

It is hilarious that it is required.

Is there a way to force Extreme quality streaming as the native client does?

jaszopa
Casual Listener

(Apologies if this is a repeat issue. See crash logs attached)

+1 To this issue. It's been happening since the 11.4 (20F71) update. Engineer resource allocation is always challenging, but this seems like at least a P1 if not, a P0 fix. Please escalate this to MacOS Product Manager or Eng Lead. 

This issue popped up last week for me. I have already attempted 2 clean reinstalls of the app. 

Computer setup. 

MBP M1, MacOS 11.4 (20F71). Samsung Thunderbolt monitor as second display. 
Audio Interface: iD22 via USB -> Display USB -> Thunderbolt. 
Spotify is connected on multiple devices throughout the home, including 2 Apple TVs, 2 iPhones, Google Home mini. Sometimes the devices compete for usage time. 

Steps to reproduce. 

1. Launch Spotify 

2. Crash log. 

1. Spotify already launched. 

2. Computer locks 

3. Upon reopening, Spotify has crashed. 

jaszopa
Casual Listener

+1 To this issue. It's been happening since the 11.4 (20F71) update. Engineer resource allocation is always challenging, but this seems like at least a P1 if not, a P0 fix. Please escalate this to MacOS Product Manager or Eng Lead. 

This issue popped up last week for me. I have already attempted 2 clean reinstalls of the app. 

Computer setup. 

MBP M1, MacOS 11.4 (20F71). Samsung Thunderbolt monitor as second display. 
Audio Interface: iD22 via USB -> Display USB -> Thunderbolt. 
Spotify is connected on multiple devices throughout the home, including 2 Apple TVs, 2 iPhones, Google Home mini. Sometimes the devices compete for usage time. 

Steps to reproduce. 

1. Launch Spotify 

2. Crash log. 

1. Spotify already launched. 

2. Computer locks 

3. Upon reopening, Spotify has crashed. 

Recent crash logs attached.

wpdaniel
Casual Listener

Same here. Any GOOD alternative for Spotify? And refund my money dear Spotify!

imjustfloating
Visitor
So glad I found this thread, I thought there must be something wrong with my new Air M1 – the app works fine while I'm actively using the computer, but it inevitably crashes if the screen goes to sleep/I close and reopen the lid. Tried two clean reinstalls, but nada. The Safari web player is junk too – if I pause a song, I have to manually refresh the page to make it start playing again. Come on Spotify!

Scr4tchpr00f
Visitor

Brand new Air M1 here too and same issue happening to me. App keeps crashing. Also the app is running along a Terminal window for Spotify Helper? Not sure if this is expected behavior. Closing the Terminal Windows closes the Spotify app as well. 

sanfordius
Visitor
It's a huge problem but few people go through the trouble of posting the issue here. Spotify is unresponsive on this and other user problems. They say that they will do something but don't hold your breath. I predict nothing will happen. I might drop Spotify and only use Apple Music. The problem doesnt exist there.

Zander4

Constant crashing especially after M1 mac goes to sleep. It's been quite some time since the M1 macs were released and still no ARM version. Spotify please fix, or I'll be leaving for Apple Music.

liberator9
Visitor
That is exactly what happens to me. If my Mac goes to sleep for even a moment, I open it to a crash notice every single time

verymickey
Visitor

Constant startup crashes and slow performance on M1 Macmini.

Fix or will be leaving for another music platform. 

quechua

Not sure what they've done with these updates but Spotify (Macbook Air) has become almost unusable. I was one of the first users in the UK so I have a load of playlists ... but I've never had problems like I've experienced over the past few weeks with the updates. It's been a nightmare. I'm basically playing everything off my iPhone now through speakers instead. 

Jeremy

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your posts and replies.

We understand there're many users switching to the M1 CPU types, and of course we want to ensure that our app is future-proof and supports as many devices as possible.

As with all new CPU developments, it requires time to optimize software to run on new hardware.

As soon as we are ready to announce full support we'll update our idea thread.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

This idea thread is about making the app ARM native on macOS.  This is entirely separate from the crashing problem. You could fix this problem without totally porting the app to run natively.

This issue is now 6 months old and it has been erroneously lumped into the "it'll be fixed when we add native support."

Just fix the crashes first. This is a critical/urgent 6 month old issue.  For shame.

hallobrosm1
Visitor

Mac M1, Big Sur, Segmentation fault crashes multiple times a day. M1 has been around for a while now, not good enough service to be paying premium prices for at the moment

SUGGESTED POSTS