Plan

Premium

Country

Device

Macbook Air M1 2020

Operating System

macOS Big Sur

My Question or Issue

Hi! I'm just asking when are you going to release an Universal or a M1 optimized version of the Spotify desktop app, because Rosetta 2 is going soon to be removed from macOS (according to latest macOS 11.3) and that would make impossible to install the Spotify desktop app on Apple Silicon. And also, by releasing a native binary, it would be faster and more stable.

P.D: AFAIK most of the components you use are already ported to Apple Silicon (CEF, and most third-party libraries) so it's on your side

156 Replies

Spotify are holding out as long as they can on this, trying to get brownie points with Epic 🤨

How little do you care? Seriously interested? It's mid June and the app crashes several times a day on m1. How long will this take you?

Still a problem. Have exhausted all routes to fix mentioned. 

I have explored with Mac to the point of hardware inspection - they concluded it was a software issue. 

Spotify - get it sorted already!

Thanks for doing this.

It is hilarious that it is required.

Is there a way to force Extreme quality streaming as the native client does?

I’ve had a free Deezer subscription for a couple of years via my mobile carrier, but kept paying for Spotify since it offers a vastly better experience; however, since I've just also got a free Tidal subscription from my cable company and the devs seems disinterested in supporting m1 Macs, I’ll just migrate my playlists and stop funding people who don’t appreciate their paying customers...

@kiwikezza I am so sorry at how you have been treated by the Spotify corporation, which has still not followed up on your problem 2.5 months after you posted it.

Keep an eye out for possible class action lawsuits (or consider starting one):

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-Apple-Silicon-Class-Action-Lawsuit/td-p/5223639

@leoplan2 I am so sorry at how you have been treated by the Spotify corporation, which has still not followed up on your problem 3 months after you posted it. It is not fair, they do not respect you as a paid customer.

Keep an eye out for possible class action lawsuits (or consider starting one):
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Mac/Spotify-Apple-Silicon-Class-Action-Lawsuit/td-p/5223639

I am a lawyer, and I can tell any user would have standing in court, to sue for damages. Basically being able to show standing, is being able to show that you have been wronged in a way that can be resolved through the law (by the court system). Here the standing is that the company is in breach of contract (yes, they will say their web player works, but that is easy to counter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_(law)

Any updates on the situation with the desktop app for the M1 chip?

Yep. I shifted to Apple Music as well. It sips battery and resources, unlike this hog.

hi guys, follow the link and download the beta for apple silicon (1.1.63.488.g27383f12-a)

Снимок экрана 2021-07-02 в 09.18.34.png

thanks, it is really smooth, i like it.

Hey everyone,

Spotify has posted an update about M1 Mac support here:
M1 Mac support is now in beta 

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hi everyone,

We have been working hard backstage on this and are happy to announce that we now have a Beta version of our app available. It features many compatibility improvements and optimizations for the new Apple architecture.

You can download this Beta app from here. It would be great if you do so and then post feedback on your experience here.

Please note that as a Beta, some unexpected behavior might still occur. We'll use all the feedback and info we get from you to tweak and improve your Spotify experience. And if everything works great we’d love to hear that too!

To install the Beta app, double click the .dmg file and then drag the app to your Applications folder, replacing the version you may have installed now. To go back to the regular version, please download and install it from https://spotify.com/download.

We can’t wait to hear from you and learn how your experience was. Take care!

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey everyone,

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hi everyone,

We have been working hard backstage on this and are happy to announce that we now have a Beta version of our app available. It features many compatibility improvements and optimizations for the new Apple architecture.

You can download this Beta app from here. It would be great if you do so and then post feedback on your experience here.

Please note that as a Beta, some unexpected behavior might still occur. We'll use all the feedback and info we get from you to tweak and improve your Spotify experience. And if everything works great we’d love to hear that too!

To install the Beta app, double click the .dmg file and then drag the app to your Applications folder, replacing the version you may have installed now. To go back to the regular version, please download and install it from https://spotify.com/download.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Hey everyone,

Updated on 2021-07-01

Hi everyone,

MattSudaSpotify Star

UPDATE: Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) are now supported in the latest desktop Mac version

Spotify has posted an update about Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) support here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Desktop-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on-Ma...

"Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶"

MattSudaSpotify Star
Marked as solution

UPDATE: Apple Silicon Macs (M1 chip) are now supported in the latest desktop Mac version

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Implemented-Ideas/Desktop-Add-support-for-Apple-Silicon-ARM64-on-Ma...

"Thank you all for bringing your feedback to the Community Idea Exchange and participating in this Beta test!

Your input has been invaluable and helped us tweak the app to make full use of the new CPU architecture.

We're happy to announce that the app is now out of Beta and can be downloaded from our website. You should automatically get the correct version for your Mac's CPU and all updates will be automatic as well, just the way it was in the past.

This idea is now officially implemented! Thanks once more for all your votes and posts.

Happy listening! 🎶"

MattSudaSpotify Star

Happy listening! 🎶"

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts