Plan

Premium

New Zealand

Have reinstalled.

Device

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Operating System

macOS Big Sur V 11.2.3 

Upon looking in the forums this seems to be a common issue?

When will this be fixed?

It keeps crashing even when not playing music.

It keeps randomly starting playing songs I have never played and puts them on loop.

Please sort this out, this is a paid service!

Ver
Ver

Hey @cementfeet,

Thanks for posting on the Community 🙂 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also head here and add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

The status "visitor" isn't related to your subscription. It refers to how often you post on the Community.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help. 

20 Replies

Re: M1 Mac, Constantly crashes, Absolute Nightmare

ezham
Visitor
same happening here

Novy

Hey folks, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community. 

We'd first recommend performing a clean reinstall of the app, as this is more thorough than a regular one and can help clearing any cache that might be causing trouble.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know if you notice the same behavior with a different device?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

kiwikezza
Casual Listener
Hi Novy,
As above I have tried a clean install,
This is only specific to the M1 Macs, The last gen Intel mac, and windows do not have this issue,
Find it a bit disappointing that on the other posts with this issue it had to be "Voted" to support this.

CarlosE

Hi again @kiwikezza,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

We'd like to confirm, are those songs you've never played before being played on any other devices where you use Spotify? If that's the case, we suggest to take a look at this article and make sure to follow the steps you'll find there to secure your account.

Regarding the crashing, another thing you can try is to clean the hosts file by following the steps in this guide. Also, try toggling off the option Enable hardware acceleration within the app's settings.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

cementfeet
Visitor

This is not tied to playing songs. My Spotify has crashed when it's not playing songs and just sitting idle in the background. It seems to be random.

The only time I can consistently get Spotify to crash is when I wake my m1 Mac from hibernation. I'm not sure how often it crashes then but it feels like it's every time I wake my Mac up, although it's probably "only" every few times.

Edit - Idk why it says I'm a "visitor". I have a family premium account.

Ver

Hey @cementfeet,

Thanks for posting on the Community 🙂 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also head here and add your +Vote and Subscribe to the thread so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this.

The status "visitor" isn't related to your subscription. It refers to how often you post on the Community.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help. 

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

ratatat96
Mine has the same thing though not as frequently as yours by the sounds of it. Mine usually does it when opening the laptop from sleep where Spotify was not closed beforehand. I haven't had the issue with random songs but will keep an eye on it

ljgda
Visitor
I have the same with my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

w3o9i-sw0g_4p
Same thing is happening with me— got a new MacBook Air (13-inch, M1, 2020) for work and downloaded spotify and it was working fine no crashes, but almost every morning if I keep spotify open when I close my laptop for the night I'll wake up with a crash report– pls resolve, it's getting annoying!
SUGGESTED POSTS